Axiom Home Page
Posted By: KungFuJoe Weird issue with gunshot sounds - 04/27/08 06:15 PM
Me again. 5.1 setup, all Axiom except for sub (SVS). Pioneer Elite receiver.

I have an issue...and this is a weird one...but whenever there is a loud gunshot type noise, instead of a gunshot sound, I will hear a very loud and distorted "whoosh" sound. It's very odd and doesn't happen often. But it's consistent on when it happens...I can basically replay the scene and the same noise will occur everytime. It's not the source because it happens on DVD's, cable tv, and my 360 (mostly during Gears of War in shotgun battles).

Could I possibly have a distorted speaker or maybe one of them has the polarity reversed?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Weird issue with gunshot sounds - 04/27/08 06:35 PM
Your sub is perhaps set too hot. Dial it back a few dB.
Posted By: KungFuJoe Re: Weird issue with gunshot sounds - 04/27/08 07:53 PM
Hmm...definitely didn't think it was the sub...but now that you mention it, just might be it. I will turn off the sub and replay a scene that causes the sound and see what happens.

Thanks!
Posted By: SRoode Re: Weird issue with gunshot sounds - 04/27/08 08:02 PM
Don't turn it off... Just attenuate it a bit.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Weird issue with gunshot sounds - 04/28/08 02:18 AM
Joe, welcome. Reversed polarity wouldn't cause such an effect and the frequencies of gunshots generally are above the sub range. The first point would appear to be to check to see if a particular speaker(even including the sub)is defective, so disconnect one at a time to see if the noise disappears.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Weird issue with gunshot sounds - 04/28/08 02:01 PM
check your wiring as well. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards