Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lohengrin Sound from a PC - 07/14/08 07:11 PM
If this one has been answered before I sure can't find it.

Ok, I know that my computer speakers have to be "powered" because there isn't any power in my sound card to drive them.
Soooo...
if I wanted to run sound from my computer (without using my Xbox) directly to my stereo speakers would I need an amp of some sort?
Also, are there better sound cards for this purpose? i.e. more than a single output? And how does that single output affect my sound? Are the connections different? Specifically, I am trying to figure out what to run to L&R inputs (use a splitter?). And what's with all the muppets?
I apologize for rambling a bit, so I threw in that last one so that I would be guaranteed responses that would make me look less incoherent.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sound from a PC - 07/14/08 07:17 PM
Most soundcards or motherboards (if integrated soundcard) have digital out jacks called SPDIF (either optical or coax). You just hook that up to your receiver digital input jacks. Since I use my PC to play movies to my projector my soundcard has coax out and my video card has HDMI out or my projector.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sound from a PC - 07/14/08 07:20 PM
You can also use a stereo receiver with your standard headphone jack->dual RCA plug cable, running off your computer's internal sound card. If you want better quality, have a look at ASUS's newest sound cards.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sound from a PC - 07/14/08 07:54 PM
Another option that provides better sound than the standard stereo-ouput jack is to go with a USB audio device. At the higher end is this one, with integrated high resolution D/A converter and optical output. At the lower end is the iMic. There are other options, as well. You will still need to buy an amplifier.
© Axiom Message Boards