Axiom Home Page
Posted By: coldrick quiet fan? - 08/16/08 05:31 PM
My Yamaha RXV-1800 seems to generate quite a lot of heat: no problem in a Tassie winter - complements the wood heater quite nicely \:\/ - but I'm thinking a really quiet fan might be in order for summer.

Anyone have recommendations?

Regards,
David
Posted By: SirQuack Re: quiet fan? - 08/16/08 06:07 PM
Do you have adequate spacing around the sides/bottom/top per the manual?
Posted By: coldrick Re: quiet fan? - 08/17/08 12:43 AM
Well, I've looked in the manual trying to find that, but buggered if I can find it. Clearance is close to 3" on top, more than that on the sides, bottom is on feet, so I assume that's as it should be.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: quiet fan? - 08/17/08 02:43 AM
Sounds like enough clearance, I think my Denon recommends 4" on the sides and top, but sometimes that is just not possible. Is this in a cool environment? What am I saying, your out back. \:\)
Posted By: coldrick Re: quiet fan? - 08/17/08 12:56 PM
Well, it's cool right now (being winter), but we just moved here, and I dunno what the summers might be like. Not as hot as Sydney, on average, but I suspect we'll have our moments.

I also keep adding disks to the mini, which is in the cubicle above the yammie, so would like to cool that as well. So to repeat the question, anyone know of super-quiet/ efficient fans?

Regards,
David
Posted By: bugbitten Re: quiet fan? - 08/17/08 02:41 PM
I pulled a fan from an old desktop computer and found it to do an excellent job.
Posted By: fredk Re: quiet fan? - 08/17/08 02:46 PM
If you go the computer fan route, buy yourself a new one that is super quiet. Yate Loon is the brand of choice in the silent PC crowd and seems to be one of the quietest for the money (all of $10 maybe?)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: quiet fan? - 08/17/08 02:55 PM
I use a Scythe 120mm fan on my CPU cooler, and that's pretty quiet, too.

The Noctuas are said to be near silent, but they also cost about 3x what other fans do.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 05:32 PM
Call me an idiot, but what would you use to power the PC fan? I'm interested in getting some air moving around my PS3, as it gets mighty warm as well.
Posted By: fredk Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 05:42 PM
A power supply? ;\)
Posted By: fredk Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 05:45 PM
Ratshack is your friend. Most any 12v DC supply should do the trick.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 06:02 PM
Actually, I have no idea. I can't imagine using a conventional power supply to do it; the load would be way too light, and the power supply way overkill.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 06:43 PM
Like this?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 06:45 PM
...and if so, how do you connect it to the fan? The connections are not the same. (Can you tell I'm not a DIYer? \:\)
Posted By: LionJak Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 07:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: spiffnme
Call me an idiot, but what would you use to power the PC fan? I'm interested in getting some air moving around my PS3, as it gets mighty warm as well.

Well, they do make those "muffin fans" in AC, I'd put as switch on the front area of your cabinet/shelf/etc. to turn it on when you're using the equipment. If you went the DC route, there would be ample opportunities to do a power take off from inside the amp or whatever--be careful and don't ruin your warranty, tho.
Posted By: LionJak Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 07:19 PM

Well, they do make those "muffin fans" in AC, I'd put as switch on the front area of your cabinet/shelf/etc. to turn it on when you're using the equipment. If you went the DC route, there would be ample opportunities to do a power take off from inside the amp or whatever--be careful and don't ruin your warranty, tho.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 07:22 PM
is there an echo in here? \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 08:15 PM
is there an echo in here? \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 08:38 PM
Is there an echo in here?
Posted By: fredk Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 08:42 PM
No, its just something rattling around inside your head.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 08:43 PM
No, it's just something rattling around inside your head.
Posted By: medic8r Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 09:04 PM
Go Ken! Go Ken!! It's your birthday! [admires Ken's break dancing]
Posted By: spiffnme Re: quiet fan? - 08/19/08 11:12 PM
wow...that's one serious thread hijack.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: quiet fan? - 08/20/08 09:24 PM

Found this web site for you cooling fans

Cam
Posted By: Haoleb Re: quiet fan? - 08/20/08 09:56 PM
...and if so, how do you connect it to the fan? The connections are not the same. (Can you tell I'm not a DIYer? \:\)

Yeah, A wallwart like that would work. It just has a 12v positive and negative wire coming out of it, Which you would hook to the black and red (usually) wires on the fan. Alot of computer fans have 3 wires but you dont need that third one. You would most likely then want to plug the wallwart into a switched outlet on your reciever if you have one.
Posted By: ihifi Re: quiet fan? - 08/20/08 10:02 PM
I have an Integra DTC-9.8 pre-pro that tends to get very hot. I bought this from ebay after reading very positive reviews from AVSforum.com. The fans are essentially inaudible and work very well to cool the processor. You plug the unit to your switched outlet behind the receiver/processor and when the temp reaches a certain point, the thermostat turns the fans on. You can also get a variable thermostat or no thermostat (fans on all the time). I recommend it highly.

John
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: quiet fan? - 08/20/08 10:23 PM

(quiet fan)
Posted By: Haoleb Re: quiet fan? - 08/20/08 10:42 PM
Man, you guys certainly have a way with hijacking threads lately ;\)

I wonder, What might it be worth to all you to not show these posts to your bosses? I'm eyeing some B&W 802D. Perhaps we can strike a deal ;\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: quiet fan? - 08/21/08 06:19 AM
How long did you search for that photo? \:\)
Posted By: coldrick Re: quiet fan? - 08/25/08 12:55 PM
Thanks, ihifi. I've talked with the guy, and it turns out his transformers will actually work out here in high-voltage-land (AC/DC rocks! \:D ), just have to change the plug.

Regards,
David
Posted By: ihifi Re: quiet fan? - 08/25/08 05:01 PM
Glad to know he can help. I had discussions by e-mail with him when I was trying to have him make a custom cooling solution. I then decided to simply go with one of his existing products. He is very helpful, and I have no doubt you will be very happy with the fans.

John
© Axiom Message Boards