Axiom Home Page
Posted By: demetman banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:01 PM
Hi guys, I purchased several pairs of screw type banana plugs from momoprice to connect wires easily to 3808 inputs and M60 towers. These plugs accept 18-12awg wire for which I purchased the 14awg in wall. I'm sorry to ask such a basic question but how do the wires propperly connect to the banana plugs? It seems as if you just slide the wire in the banana plug until bare wire sits snug in the tip of inside of the plug. Is this all? The wire can easily be pulled from the plug with little tention which does not seem the least bit like a solid connection. Again I'm sorry for such a basic inquery, I have only made bare wire connections in the past and the 3808 is not that easy to make bare wire connections with 14awg. Thanks

Demetrios
Posted By: HomeDad Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:09 PM
The ends of the wire need to be spread over the top of the part that is screwed in,that creates the hold once attatched.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:14 PM
Example here Banan plug
Posted By: demetman Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:45 PM
Oh, I feel pretty stupid now. Thanks for the example.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:51 PM
Dude, I've done banana plugs wrong a fair amount... It's tricky when things don't come with instructions.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Dude, I've done banana plugs wrong a fair amount... It's tricky when things don't come with instructions.

What's worse is when things do come with instructions and you still can't figure it out. *cough*denonmanuals*cough*
Posted By: Ken.C Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 03:55 PM
Denon manuals don't count as instructions.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 04:10 PM
Yeah, you're better off rolling it up and scratching your head with it.
Posted By: DaveG Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 04:41 PM
I did mine the right way, but only by dumb luck.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 06:12 PM
The banana plugs I bought from bluejeans cable came with nifty instructions
Posted By: jakewash Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 06:27 PM
Axiom's banana plugs are quite simple, they are just like the binding posts on the speakers.
Posted By: myrison Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 07:13 PM
Very timely topic, I just finally ordered a bunch of banana plugs from Monoprice today... after reconnecting my system so many times, I decided it was time to bite the bullet (after which I'm sure I'll never disconnect a speaker again)
Posted By: jakewash Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 07:25 PM
Hey that's what happened to me! I was doing lots of comparing and moving so I ordered the Banana plugs from Axiom, put them on and I think I have disconnected a total of 4 times now.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 08:00 PM
I noticed in the last illustration that they show other banana plugs side-wired. That's the way I've always thought you do it. The back wiring method looks much cleaner, but also requires more clearance behind the connection. In my setup, that space is at a premium. I think that as long as you're neat and careful not to leave any loose strands, either method should produce the same end result.
Posted By: merchman Re: banana plugs - 10/02/08 09:59 PM
I too got it right but it was by guessing as there were no instructions and the guy at the store had no clue. I found the dual banana plugs much easier but a little more difficult to position. Had to make sure the red and black went in right way so the wires went the direction I needed.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: banana plugs - 02/25/09 03:55 AM
The dual banana plugs I got at radio shack were so much easier to implement (hand turn, smooth, very tight/secure) than the ones ordered from Blue Jeans, which had tiny, more or less jewelers-style, screws to secure the speaker wire and were so long (1 1/2-2 in?) I never even got to use any of them, no room. Maybe they're great if you have the space, and infinite patience, of which both are in short supply in my current world/universe.
© Axiom Message Boards