Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Official Ninja Distortion when using Y splitter - 10/03/08 01:54 AM
I have an Oppo 980 DVD player and a Yamaha RX-V461 reciever. My speakers are Axiom M22v2s.

The Oppo player is really nice. It has 1 thing that I don't like. The analog audio out left and right are part of the 7.1 multichannel out for SACD. This means you cant have analog audio to your TV and reciever at the same time.

I 1st tried using Y splitters on both channels going to the TV and reciever. It seemed fine but I soon realized I was hearing slight distortion in the music I was listening too.

I went with a A/B switch box and that works fine. The sound is excelent. Problem is the TV is used a lot by my son and if I forget to switch the audio back to the TV, he cant get sound with his movies. Not a big deal I'll just tell him to hit the number 1 if he doesn't hear anything.

Anyway, point of this is, would anyone know why I might be hearing distortion by just splitting the signal between the TV and reciever?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Distortion when using Y splitter - 10/03/08 03:06 AM
Bad splitter?
Posted By: DaveG Re: Distortion when using Y splitter - 10/03/08 12:34 PM
Try another splitter.
Posted By: Official Ninja Re: Distortion when using Y splitter - 10/05/08 04:19 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I picked up a couple new splitters from Radio Shack. Still had the same problem. I noticed this time around when I turn the TV on the audio from the reciever would get louder. So, something is just not right.

It is not an issue anymore. I did a firmware upgrade to the Oppo player and now there is no more audio delay when 1st selecting or starting to play something over HDMI. Now that I can use HDMI the way I want it frees up the analog audio ports to go straight to the reciever.
Posted By: myrison Re: Distortion when using Y splitter - 10/05/08 04:13 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed... definitely seemed to be a unique problem!
© Axiom Message Boards