Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jappy In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 03:51 AM
Trying to do anything to make the terrible wait for my new Epic 80-350 system a little more barable, I have started to wire my living room. I already bought CL2 12-gauge speaker wire and wallplates with speaker connexions. However, I was wondering if I have to run the wire through power outlet-style metal boxes or can I just connect the wores to the wallplates and screw them in the drywall?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 03:53 AM
There are small metal cutout type inserts that can be used with low voltage wiring to provide some kind of anchor for the wall plates. I'm not certain if they're ok regulatory wise, but it's something to look into.
Posted By: Wid Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 10:59 AM
Something like this should work.
Posted By: DaveG Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 11:55 AM
What wid has linked would be my preference.
Posted By: Jappy Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 12:01 PM
Thanks! I'll look for those. I might wire everything this weekend...
Posted By: myrison Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 12:09 PM
Jappy - those are the same thing I used. All Home Depots and Lowes carry them as well. You can either get the wall boxes through which you can run the wires, or just the frames to which you can mount the plates. The frames without the enclosed box will likely be easier as you won't have to try to run cables through the small cutouts in the enclosed wall boxes.

Jason
Posted By: Jappy Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 12:37 PM
myrison, I'm glad thet the frames will do because the wall I want to install those on is an exterior wall with insulation so I wasn't loking on the prospect of carving big holes for the box with much happyness...

That will make my job a lot easyer!

Now, if only I could freeze myself for three weeks untill those speakers arrive...
Posted By: myrison Re: In-wall wiring - 10/07/08 01:13 PM
Good luck with the wait Jappy. When I ordered mine, the wait was 6 weeks (for a custom finish), and I nearly went nuts during that time. \:\)

I found the forums to be a good distraction during the wait and have remained here since. Another thing to do is start lining up all of the music and movies that you want to listen to once the new system arrives.

Jason
Posted By: fredk Re: In-wall wiring - 10/08/08 01:10 AM
 Quote:
Now, if only I could freeze myself for three weeks untill those speakers arrive...

Now's the time to learn the fine art of thread-jacking. You seem to have the time. ;\)
Posted By: DaveG Re: In-wall wiring - 10/08/08 12:05 PM
A fine art indeed.
Posted By: Jappy Re: In-wall wiring - 10/08/08 02:43 PM
Noreen sent me an e-mail today and it seems the speakers will arrive early! Should have them at the end of next week...

Now I'll get busy installing everything and re-painting this weekend...

P.S.: Feel free to threadjack this ;-)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: In-wall wiring - 10/08/08 04:58 PM
hey, that was my avatar during the simpson theme month, except I cropped out homer and just sue the upside down pig.
© Axiom Message Boards