Axiom Home Page
Posted By: peenerhead The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 09:36 PM
After blowing my Denon 4308CI (the fuse is still good if anyone needs one), I have decided to upgrade my system a little bit (mostly based on discussions in another thread). My 4308 should be back from warranty repairs in a couple of weeks. I plan on using the 4308 as my Pre-amp.

The room in which we are trying to "Shake the Paint off the Walls" is approximately 8000 cf. There are some obstructions like a partial wall in the middle of the room, some furniture and a pool table. The main listening area (tv viewing area) is approximately 18' wide x 25' deep x 8' tall. The room is open on the back side so nothing contains the sound from escaping.

The goal here is to find an Amp or Amps that will be able to handle a wide variety of listening. We watch DVDs, kids shows, playstation, baseball, football (normal family stuff). But when no one is home I like to "Rock the House", so the system must be able to fill the additional 4000+ cf of space with sound that only an IRON EAR DRUM could tolerate. I am looking for suggestions that have merit, not just "Try this one because my uncle's mobile home was really rockin' with his Wal-Mart Amp."

I am Not looking for discussions or rhetoric on playing music too loud! (post on AARP board if this is your M.O.)

I Am looking for a setup that will provide quality sound at family listening levels but also provide enough power to "Punch a Hole through the Space/Time Continuum" when needed.

The speakers I have available are listed below. Thanks for your help in advance.

4 Axiom M80v2
1 VP150 Center Channel
4 QS8
2 Hsu Research ULS-15 Wireless Dual Drive Subwoofers - just ordered these. They should be here on Wednesday. after talking to Dr. Hsu I felt this was the best way to go for subs.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 10:49 PM
We're going to need a budget.

How is your wiring? Sufficient amperage may require multiple dedicated circuits for the amplifiers.

If I had the money to shop for amps, I'd probably start with Axiom, Emotiva, Outlaw, Parasound, Odyssey.

If I were you, I'd definitely buy 9 channels of amplification.

Perhaps 2, 2 channel amps for the mains and a five channel amp for the rest.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 10:52 PM
Yeah, something like that. I'd probably steer clear of Emotiva (unless someone can guarantee they've worked out the MPS-1 issues that Randy reported). Parasound Halos I know can push volume like that.
Posted By: peenerhead Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 11:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
We're going to need a budget.

How is your wiring? Sufficient amperage may require multiple dedicated circuits for the amplifiers.

If I had the money to shop for amps, I'd probably start with Axiom, Emotiva, Outlaw, Parasound, Odyssey.

If I were you, I'd definitely buy 9 channels of amplification.

Perhaps 2, 2 channel amps for the mains and a five channel amp for the rest.

Budget $7,500 (maybe more if I spend some time with the wife)(so lets say $7,500 absolute max)
Wiring - 3 isolated/dedicated 20 amp circuits all withing reach
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 11:11 PM
Two Halo A21s and a Halo A51? I don't know how much those really cost. But that might be worth looking into.

EDIT: ok, that's about $500 over budget--around $8000 for what I described. Cut it to $6000 if you go for the less expensive A52 for your center and surrounds.

This is their only authorized online reseller.
Posted By: fredk Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 11:13 PM
One of these should do it.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 11:24 PM
The MPS-1 is a completely different architecture than the newer XPA line.

Money permitting, I'd consider B&K, Krell, MacIntosh, Jeff Rowland, Bryston, Classe...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/23/08 11:29 PM
Dude, why not stop wasting time and just take a chainsaw to your ears?

And, no....I'm not AARP-ready.....
Posted By: Wid Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 01:10 AM
A few of these WILL do the trick. Five of those will be right around your budget.

1000 watts into 4 0hm.............there's ya some power.
Posted By: myrison Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 01:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
One of these should do it.

Fred, I've read a lot about those as well and for the price I'd be very tempted to try them out. If you buy them from Zzounds.com they also come with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee. At 2x500 watts into 4-ohms, it's a lot of bang for the buck (or for 500 bucks).

For only another $200 you up your output to 800x2 into 4 ohms...

If I had $7500 on the table for amplification, I would definitely at least try this solution for a fraction of the cost knowing that you're only out $20 if you don't like it (for return shipping). $20 risk to save 7 grand? I'm in! \:D

To the OP - sorry if this sounds like a story about my uncle whose motorhome rocks! I haven't heard these first hand, but have seen them mentioned several times and would be very tempted to try them if I were in your shoes.

I want to hear more stories about you busting light bulbs with your speakers, so definitely let us know what you decide on.

Jason
Posted By: fredk Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 01:50 AM
Jason, I don't think these amps fit into the 'amp from Walmart' category. They are serious amps meant to push a lot of power. I have also not had any experience with them. I think it would be fun to go into a high end stereo dealer and demo one of the commercial amps against the audiophile stuff.
Posted By: myrison Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 02:04 AM
Me too Fred. If I hadn't just dropped another load on a new EP-800, I'd probably be considering one of these just because they are so amazingly affordable for what they produce.

(plus, I bet they'd sound REALLY good in a motorhome!)
Posted By: fredk Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 02:45 AM
... with 4 M80s. \:D
Posted By: peenerhead Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 04:53 AM
My statement
 Originally Posted By: peenerhead
I am Not looking for discussions or rhetoric on playing music too loud! (post on AARP board if this is your M.O.)

Your response
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Dude, why not stop wasting time and just take a chainsaw to your ears?

And, no....I'm not AARP-ready.....

You should really get off your kids' computer before they find out and install "Net-Nanny" to keep you from posting here again.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 04:56 AM
<removed for thread clearing purposes>
Posted By: SatKartr Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 05:22 AM
Well I certainly don't have your cash to work from so I'm not playing in the same league but as tomtuttle states the new xpa series packs something of a punch and the emotiva folks now seem to be recommending the xpa series over the mps-2 for various purposes. I've finally been running the xpa 2 into the m80s since yesterday and it sounds good so far but I haven't been able to crank it up, I may be able to say more after my wife and daughter go on vaca for the weekend, the xpa 2 is rated at 500 wpc into 4 ohms (2 channels driven), whereas the xpa 1 (1 channel) goes 1000 wpc into 4 ohms if memory serves.
Posted By: jakewash Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 09:42 AM
Looking forward to hearing/reading your comments on the XPA 2
Posted By: Nick B Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 12:57 PM
If you are looking for sheer power then look no further than this.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/emotiva-xpa-2/xpa-2-measurements

The reviewer has the $7000 Denon 10 channel amp and this amp puts it to shame in power output as you will see in "Amplifier Power & Efficiency" in the review. Also, it sounded almost the same as the Denon with only very subtle differences if you read the entire review. You will need to beef up your electrical system to take full advantage though. Also, it is only $800 for a two channel setup. You could just use these to power the fronts and the Denon for the rest. Or buy several of these to power all channels and still come in at much less than your $7000 budget. But if you are buying four of these then it almost puts you in the ballpark of the Axiom amp. Just something to think about.

When I get some m80's, the Emotiva 2 channel amp is the one that I am going to get to power it. Unless there is something better that comes out by then.

- Nick
Posted By: peenerhead Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 01:51 PM
WOW!!!!

Thanks for all the info everybody!

I will do some homework on the leads you have provided and be back with some questions.

It looks like I might not have to HO myself to the wife after all!!!!!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 02:44 PM
With that kind of money I'd use it on something like the new Camaro, but hey it is your money. So, I would say something from Rotel, Parasound, or Odyssey Audio.
Posted By: Wid Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 02:53 PM

I'd buy a new Camaro too if I could get one for $7500
Posted By: myrison Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 02:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: wid

\:D
Posted By: michael_d Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 03:28 PM
Take what you read at Audioholics with a grain of salt.....

Might want to consider calling D-sonic. He'll put together whatever you want. http://www.d-sonic.net/
User thread at AVS... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855660
Posted By: peenerhead Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 04:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: myrison
 Originally Posted By: wid

\:D

The wife already wants me to get rid of my '94 RT-10 . She says it takes up too much space? I told her at 6 MPG I get better mileage out of it than her \:D .
Posted By: peenerhead Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 04:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
With that kind of money I'd use it on something like the new Camaro, but hey it is your money. So, I would say something from Rotel, Parasound, or Odyssey Audio.

How many WPC does the Camaro have?

LOL
Posted By: alan Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 07:32 PM
Hi peenerhead,

Well, 1 horsepower = 746 watts. So you do the math. . .

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 07:55 PM
Geez. I did not know horses were THAT noisy. No wonder we replaced them with explosion engines!
Posted By: peenerhead Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 08:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: alan
Hi peenerhead,

Well, 1 horsepower = 746 watts. So you do the math. . .

Regards,
Alan

I GOTTA GET ME ONE A DEM !
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 08:36 PM
So the backup generator at the Axiom factory must pack quite a punch! \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/24/08 10:08 PM
or would that be a kick!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/25/08 12:01 AM
I think it would be a combination of the two!
Posted By: Nick B Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/25/08 12:06 PM
mdrew,

I think Clint did a pretty thorough review of the Emotiva amp. He measured about everything you would want to know about. When he was doing listening tests he used his RBH T-30LSE's which are modified versions of the T1's and 1010-se subwoofer together as one speaker. The T-30LSE is a 4-ohm load and it seems like a difficult one at that. The subwoofer section has no internal amplification. So, he was driving both with one channel of the amp. If the amp could hand this I think the m80's should be no problem.

- Nick
Posted By: michael_d Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/25/08 03:57 PM
You missed the point Nick. They have gone downhill over the years. I stopped reading anything they put up a while ago. The boards are filled with jackasses anymore as well.
Posted By: Nick B Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/25/08 07:02 PM
mdrew,

I have been regularly using their site for reviews and getting a/v news for about five years now and haven't noticed any downward trend in the quality. The reviews have always been top notch. In fact, audioholics helped me figure out that my Bose acoustimass speakers suck. They helped lead me to Axiom speakers as well as many of the other upgrades that I have done. I can't comment on the boards as I don't use them at all. Most forums are filled with jackasses though as you mention. Except this one (the Axiom forum) is definitely one of the better ones around.

- Nick
Posted By: Wid Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/25/08 07:08 PM
Oh hush up you jackasses \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: jakewash Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/25/08 07:25 PM
Gilmore! You Jackass!!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/26/08 06:03 PM
Anyone else think this thread will get revived in 10 years with the title:

"The rusted Ear-drum club"?
Posted By: fredk Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/26/08 10:48 PM
Will it start My my hey hey??
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/26/08 11:31 PM
It's better to burn out than to fade away.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/26/08 11:38 PM
Hold me back--Rust never sleeps, baby! Keep on rockin in the free world . . .
Posted By: fredk Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 12:41 AM
Exactly!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 02:06 AM
*walks away in confusion*
Posted By: SatKartr Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 03:11 AM
Never ends does it ;)"
Posted By: jakewash Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 05:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
That happens alot around here.
Posted By: DaveG Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 11:27 AM
\:\/
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 11:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi

Hey! That was the B-Side to Agent Orange's ::: runs away crying :::
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 02:49 PM
You mean Negative Orange, right?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 03:45 PM
I thought Agent Orange was the spin-off group to.....

Oh, forget it.

I F***ed up.

Pre-Coffee and all that.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Iron Ear Drum Club - 10/27/08 05:42 PM
I caught that but didn't want Mark to run away from me yet AGAIN...

He's such a wuss like that.

Wait, do you think he heard that?
© Axiom Message Boards