Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/02/08 08:30 AM
Link No HD audio support.

Very cool line level pre-outs. I wonder how well shielded the circuitry is given all the emi in a pc?
A 100w class D amp option!?

You have to admit, the folks at AMD can be creative.

And finally an HDMI 1.3 A/V card.. According to folks at AVS forums the drivers are buggy though.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/02/08 10:43 AM
Here is the Motherboard I am running with this case. and this power supply . I just need to spring for the BR recorder for my PC and a TV capable of running 1080P. \:\)

I think I may have put this one into my sons' PC utilizing this case and this 520W P/S
Posted By: Murph Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/02/08 03:47 PM
Ack! You are making me want to build another PC so close to Christmas. If my wife gets only a jar of peanut butter for Christmas, I am blaming you.

Wait, that is what my dog asked for.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/02/08 04:37 PM
Your dog asked for a jar of peanut butter or a new PC why not both
Posted By: dyna Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/02/08 08:06 PM
jakewash, just curious if you have your htpc hooked up to a denon 3808. I'm in the process of looking for a new receiver and hope to build a new htpc in the near future but I'm unsure if they're compatible. I've seen many people on avs have problems hooking up their receivers properly and was hoping the 3808 would work.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/02/08 09:29 PM
Sorry no help from me, I have no reason to hook my PC up yet, I only have an old 36"crt. I stream my music to the 3808 from my Linksys NAS200, and they are both linked up to my router and it works with out a hitch. Someday I hope to make use of what I have, but I will most likely end up building another PC to keep pace with the ever changing electronics world before I get to put all of the features I have available to good use.\:\(
Posted By: fredk Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 01:45 AM
Jay, that looks like a nice motherboard. Like mine, it dosn't seem to support HD audio in any way though.

I see AMD has a cheepo video card that will send 8 channel lpcm over hdmi. I am guessing that the card decodes the HD format and re-encodes as lpcm.
Posted By: fredk Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 01:53 AM
Dynay. The trick seems to be to get HD audio from the bluray drive to your receiver. There are a few cards that will send 8 channel lpcm over HDMI. I am guessing that the 3808 can handle this, but you would need to confirm with 3808 owners here.

The ideal solution would be to send the HD stream directly to the receiver the way a stand alone drive does, but, other than the card I linked to in the first post, nobody seems to do that yet. Also, $200 seems like a lot to pay just to pass HD audio to a receiver.

It is all quite confusing.

The good news is that there will be more and more cards out there that will do this. At some point, someone is going to put the HD audio and video passthrough into the onboard video/audio of a motherboard.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 01:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I think I may have put this one into my sons' PC utilizing this case and this 520W P/S

I can vouch for the 620W version of the power supply. Rock solid and stable in my main rig for over a year.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 02:00 AM
You would need a card with HDCP. That's probably where the cost is (or at least the justification for the cost).
Posted By: fredk Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 02:11 AM
I think you are right Eric. Sony and the studios are absolutely paranoid about someone grabbing the HD stream and writing it back to a disc bitperfect (counterfitting).

Creating a 'protected path' requires jumping through a lot of hoops: essentially putting a 'chastity belt' on each computer component in the chain.

How common is it for receivers to be able to decode 8 channel lpcm?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 02:34 AM
I have the 520W Corsair. It's been bulletproof, unlike my motherboard and video card.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 03:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Jay, that looks like a nice motherboard. Like mine, it dosn't seem to support HD audio in any way though.
I really haven't looked at the specs but my initial thought was the HD audio was sent over the HDMI signal.
Posted By: dyna Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 08:35 PM
thanks for the input guys. I've been reading more about htpc/denon on avs again and seems some people have gotten good results but the majority still have problems. Unfortunately for me I may have to try and find an alternative...onkyo, yamaha, or pioneer to drive my m80's. hmmm
Posted By: jakewash Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/03/08 10:54 PM
WHat is it that you are looking to do with the HTPC, full out(audio and video) streaming to the Denon? What are the issues others are having?
Posted By: fredk Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/04/08 06:59 AM
[quote=jakewashI really haven't looked at the specs but my initial thought was the HD audio was sent over the HDMI signal. [/quote]
I've been doing some reading and I don't think your board will handle the HD audio formats. It looks like only the most recent generation of onboard graphics will and its all 8 channel lpcm. For Nvidea I think thats the 7xx level.
Posted By: dyna Re: Now THATS an HTPC motherboard! - 12/04/08 10:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
WHat is it that you are looking to do with the HTPC, full out(audio and video) streaming to the Denon? What are the issues others are having?

Basically yes! I ideally want to have all my music and movies backed up on it and choose any song or movie at the click of a button instead of having to sort through a bunch of disks.

In short, the problem some people seem to have is that when they hook up the htpc through hdmi directly to the tv they get sound and audio but when they run it through the receiver to the tv they get video but no sound.
© Axiom Message Boards