Axiom Home Page
Hey guys and gals, I need some help setting up my DVD player audio settings as well as understanding the difference. In my manual under "audio settings" it has settings for Down Sampling and another for Bitstream. Considering that it's connected to my 3808, what would be the optimal settings.

Here is a link to Hitachi's website where you can download the manual which I figure is the easiest ( link ). The model number is dvp745u and the "audio settings" section is on page 14.

Thanks ahead for your help and time.
Down Sampling is generally for two-channel applications only. When in doubt and especially with your player, always set to bitstream via coax/optical hooked up from your DVD player to the receiver and configured accordingly so you can get all the surround sound processing in its raw format from the player in to the receiver for decoding.
Thank you very much for the help Casey. I'm know I'm not much of a help in these forums and it may have been a noob question but I was looking for any help.

Again, thanks.
My Oppo was reset to factory (somehow) just before I got my M80s and I couldn't figure out why there wasn't any sound coming from the surrounds on a DVDA. Turns out the Downsampling was set to stereo (and the sub to No). The music still sounded great.

I gather the Hitachi DS is for 96khz material. I'd set it to off. Also, leave the default bitstream for DD and turn on bitstream for DTS.
Cam, was able to check the manual and the previous replies give you the right info. Both the notes on p.9 under connecting to a DD or DTS decoder and the instructions at p.14 indicate that bitstream is the correct setting when connecting to a DD/DTS decoder, which the 3808 has. One additional point is that in addition to the down sampling you should also set the DRC to off. You don't want to level the dynamic range on most occasions and it's a bit curious that the default is "on".
Thank you very much John, greatly appreciated.

Take care over the holidays.
© Axiom Message Boards