Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:17 PM
I'm looking for the specs on the old EP350, anybody know where they are? Seems like I read somewhere that the current posted specs on the Axiom EP350v3 product page were actually the specs for the old 350, is that still the case?

Thank you in advance my brethren.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:22 PM
Here's an old review from 2003
I think these are the specs of the original 350, seem pretty close to the current model except for wattage, I wonder if Axiom still has not done any new tests to publish on the website? Also, the reviews are old ones..

SPECS:
Enclosure: Vortex / ReflexMax
Amp Power: 200 Watts
Cross-over Adjust: 40 - 150 Hz
Phase adjust: 0 & 180
Woofer Size: 12"
Line In and Out: Yes
High Level In: Yes
Anechoic Resp. +/- 3dB: 28 - 150 Hz
Room Resp. + 3dB/- 9dB: 18 - 150 Hz
Max SPL Anechoic: 107 dB
Max SPL In Room: 118 dB
Dimensions HWD inches: 19.5" x 15" x 15"
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:43 PM
Thanks Rick and Randy.

With knowing the difference between the cabinet depth and ports of the two subs, I was curious to know if an old 350 might benefit with an amp from the new 350? Just a curious thought.

Or if that could even be done.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:44 PM

What are ya doing with the 350?
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:47 PM
Nothing, I was thinking if it could be upgraded I could stick it in the room with the 600, right now I just believe it's going to be a little weak to pair with big brother.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:52 PM

Try it like it is and see.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:55 PM
How long have you been suggesting that? \:\)

I might throw it in there for the heck of it.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:57 PM
Do you guys believe the old 350 can be upgraded with a new amp? Foreseeable problems?
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 02:58 PM

Oh I don't know, a couple of years.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 03:01 PM

How much do you think you would gain from an increase of 50%. You won't get but a 1.5db increase.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 03:04 PM
Obviously there's quite a lot of gain if you compare the reviews from the new 350 and the old 350, but I'm sure ports and cabinet depth has something to do with it. That's why I was asking.
I don't see why you could not put it in the room, the more woof the better. It may help even out things overall, you may not be able to tell, but what the heck man. It is a shame it just sits in the back room and collects dust. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 03:06 PM

Yeah, there is a difference for sure but just upgrading the amp won't give you these upgraded specs.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 03:09 PM
It is actually sitting in the closet Randy, thought maybe my son would take interest and he could have it whenever he moved but since it doesn't look like he's moving anywhere anytime soon I thought maybe I'd do *something* with the sub.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 03:12 PM
Rick I'm not looking to make the old 350 be a new version of the 350, that's why in my above post I added "With knowing the difference in the cabinet depth and ports..." I was simply curious if the old 350 would benefit with an amp from the new 350.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 03:25 PM

Rick, my answer would be no.
It is possible Rick2, the new amp has more power, and we LOVE power.
Posted By: fredk Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 05:31 PM
Is the driver the same between the old and new model?

From what I have seen in modeling drivers, increasing cabinet size will not increase overall max spl. It can increase response at the bottom of a drivers fr spectrum.
I think the EP350v3 uses the same driver as in the EP500, just a different amp. It is not the same driver as the original EP350 Ricky has....
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 06:08 PM
Randy I didn't know the two subs utilized different drivers as well, I was just curious if my old 350 could benefit from the larger amp. I did connect the 350 on the opposite side of the room of the 600 and I just don't believe it has enough to keep up, I may leave it there for a little just to see but so far I don't know if there is going to be any gain by adding it.

It does give me a very good refresher of just how well of a sub that big 600 really is though.
Posted By: alan Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 06:10 PM
Hi all,

Yes, the EP350v3 uses the same driver and the same enclosure as the EP500. However, the amplifier is different and lacks the DSP control that the EP500 has.

The new EP350v3 amplifier also uses a touch of analog EQ to goose the low-frequency output a bit. I don't think the new 350 amplifier would fit into the old 350 enclosure.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 06:26 PM
Thanks Alan!
Posted By: fredk Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 06:48 PM
 Quote:
new EP350v3 amplifier also uses a touch of analog EQ to goose the low-frequency output a bit

Thats interesting Alan. Does it goose frequencies below 28Hz? I was very surprised at the in room response I got down to 21 Hz.
Hitting 21hz in room, is most likely just due to room gain effect.
Well I have not read thru all of this thread I can answer RickF's question as to the benefit of adding the new v3 amp to the EP350.
I recently had my amp replaced with the new 300w amp.( The sub input plug broke off when I was unhooking the sub-cable) Axiom looked after it on warranty and sent me a replacement amp and I was happy to see that it was the new v3.

It has made my subwoofer really wake up. It seems to have much deeper bass than it ever did before. I actually wonder if there was something wrong with the old one all along, even though I know it did work.

It does fit
Posted By: fredk Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 08:13 PM
Here is a typical rolloff for a ported 12" driver:

The -3db point is 24Hz. If I go down 7Hz from there (the equivelant of 21Hz in my room) the sub is down another 11db. Typically room gain is 4-6db per octave meaning that at 12Hz you would see 4-6db of gain.

In contrast, 11db gain by 21Hz is a huge amount of gain. I think this is more than can be accounted for by room gain.
What is the subs extension like when in other positions? This would tell you if it is room gain or not.
Posted By: fredk Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 08:24 PM
Skreefer, but the it does fit comment I take it this is a new amp in the old v2 sub?

If so, that deeper sound is probably due to the dsp boost.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 08:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Screefer
Well I have not read thru all of this thread I can answer RickF's question as to the benefit of adding the new v3 amp to the EP350.
I recently had my amp replaced with the new 300w amp.( The sub input plug broke off when I was unhooking the sub-cable) Axiom looked after it on warranty and sent me a replacement amp and I was happy to see that it was the new v3.

It has made my subwoofer really wake up. It seems to have much deeper bass than it ever did before. I actually wonder if there was something wrong with the old one all along, even though I know it did work.

It does fit

That's certainly interesting. Kim you do have the old 350, is that right?
Posted By: fredk Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 08:26 PM
Jay. The boost is about the same in the two positions I tried (corner as opposed to wall loaded).

I should try to close mike the sub from the middle of the room to see what the curve is like.
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the 350 does go to ~20hz, it certainly feels that way. Like I said in another thread, even my 14yr old D-Box 10" could get near 20hz, just not with much authority, not that it had much authority anyway.
From specs (350v3):
Anechoic Resp. +/- 3dB 28 - 150 Hz
Room Resp. + 3dB/- 9dB 18 - 150 Hz
Yes I have the old v2 sub with the new v3 amp installed
I was speaking with Brent the other day about the differences between the 350 and 500. I hate trying to quote these kinds of details without really knowing what I am talking about. This may NOT be acurate. Both the 350 and 500 use the same driver and same enclosure. Both have the same specs and both go to the same depth. The 350 will not be level as it drops below a certain point and will lose impact. The 500 stays level as it drops and keeps that impact. Also the DSP will keep it clear with no distortion. This will be most noticeable at louder volumes. Plus the 500 has more power and can play much louder anyway. He also says that the 350 is a great sub.

Some of you must play your systems pretty loud with all of these subs!
Many subs doesn't mean they play them loud, they just have a very flat response, ie., all the seating positions start to get the same bass as the multiple subs help reduce/eliminate nulls.
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/23/09 11:48 PM
Bob, this thread is actually centered around the older version EP350, which for the most part is completely different than the newer EP350v3.
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I think the EP350v3 uses the same driver as in the EP500, just a different amp. It is not the same driver as the original EP350 Ricky has....

Hey Rick,

I do understand what this thread is about. There was some other discussion intermingled that I commented on. Sorry. \:\(
Posted By: RickF Re: Anybody have the specs for the old EP350? - 01/24/09 01:16 AM
No need to apologize whatsoever Bob, I just didn't know if you knew which version we were talking about (for the most part) ... now I know! \:\)

Cheers!
© Axiom Message Boards