Axiom Home Page
Posted By: donaldekelly High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 04:45 AM
This is probably a real newbie type question - but I am new to hi-def TV. I have recorded some HD shows and when watching them later on - they definitely don't seem to be in high definition. Latest example is the PBS series on India.

Is Hi-Def lost when recorded? My TV (Insignia) and cable provider (Comcast) seem to provide reasonably good HD when an HD show is watched "live" (when broadcast) - but I haven't compared the same show live and recorded.

We plan to switch to Verizon FIOS TV service soon, but the question remains.

Thanks
Posted By: Brandon_G Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 05:27 AM
hmmmm thats interesting , i have no answer for u but still interested hahaha.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 05:40 AM
What DVR are you using to record them?

Our Dish DVR (ViP 722) records in HD, and plays back in HD. It looks just like the HD broadcast when I play it back.
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 06:16 AM
comcast dvr
Posted By: nickbuol Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 06:24 AM
I figured that, but which model. There seems to be more than one when Google searching....
Posted By: HomeDad Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 08:36 AM
Same with my Directv HD DVR, the shows look exactly the same as watching HD TV. Is it possible your DVR is not HD, it should say on the DVR itself if it's HD or not, Comcast provides both SD and HD DVRs. A brand and model# will clear up that part of the issue.
Also you might run a search on the AVS forum about Comcast, seems that they have a lot of problems with their boxes as well as their HD programming.
Posted By: RickF Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 10:19 AM
Don we have Comcast as well and use their Motorola DCT6412 set top box and haven't had any issues with the HD programming or HD playback through the box. Sounds like it may be a defective tuner, you might want to take your set top box in and swap it out for another. I've taken several boxes back and won't hesitate to do so with any sign whatsoever of the slightest of issue.

Here's the tuner we currently use ... DCT6412 Tuner
Posted By: alan Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 07:02 PM
Hello Donald,

Most cable services supply two different types of DVR boxes, one that records in Standard Definition (SD) and a different one that records in HD. The boxes are generally made by either Motorola or Scientic Atlanta, and the HD versions say so on the front of the box (true of Scientific Atlanta; I'm not sure about Motorola).

DVR recording and playback of HD is normally perfect; indistinguishable from the live HD signal. The storage capabilities for HD programs are very much less than SD programs because of the huge bandwidth demands of HD. My Scientific Atlanta box (Time-Warner Cable) only holds about 20 hours of HD programs. In SD, it will store about 160 hours of programs. The boxes aren't all that reliable. I've had to exchange mine a couple of times because of malfunctions, so check with your cable company on the model of the box and exchange it if it is supposed to record in HD.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/01/09 09:07 PM
Sorry - brain doesn't function well late at night

Motorola HD Dual Tuner DCH 3416

I guess it should be HD!

It might have been the program - some BBC nature and history productions are great in HD (Planet Earth) and some are no better than regular def (Wild China) from what I have read.

We are switching to FIOS in a month or two I think - as soon as it is available here. I saw the guy out in the street installing the cables a couple weeks ago - so it should be coming soon. Till then I am okay with what I have. Comcast is kind of watered down HD anyway.

Thanks all!
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/03/09 04:35 AM
It was the India movie - or the channel it broadcast on

The superbowl coverage was very clear when replayed on my DVR
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/03/09 04:53 AM
This may be a no brainer, but make sure that your recording an actual HD broadcast on a true HD channel vs the SD channel.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: High Def on a DVR? - 02/04/09 06:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
This may be a no brainer, but make sure that your recording an actual HD broadcast on a true HD channel vs the SD channel.

That's a really good point.

If your DVR is like most DVR's, you ought to be able to pause & rewind live TV. Right?

So the next time you're watching an HD show that you know is in HD, hit pause, rewind it a bit, then hit play. If the picture quality is the same as what you were just watching, then your receiver is capable of recording HD content. Sounds like this is the case, as you say your Superbowl replays looked great.

I'd bet your problem is exactly as oldschool says, and you're accidentally recording the SD channel rather than the HD one.

© Axiom Message Boards