Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mrbiggyworth Media Closet Hardware - 02/11/09 02:25 AM
Im in the process of building a media closet to store all the electronics. Does anyone have any recommendations for speaker binding posts?

I was looking at these at monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...&seq=1&format=2

The Leviton ones at homedepot are nice but they are expensive.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/11/09 03:11 PM
That looks fine to me, but I've never used it.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/11/09 03:49 PM
That monoprice plate looks like a much better product than I used from homedepot. Mine had the interchangeable plugs so you could build your own as needed. That worked for me b/c I was running speakers outside plus surrounds, etc. But the little plugs constantly pop out if you press too hard - as in when you plug a banana plug in or screw on a cable terminal. These look much better and the price is good - ignoring shipping. Some here use locking banana plugs, which I would also recommend if these are going in a hard-to-reach spot. If the plug is hard to reach or see it can come out when other wires are moved, etc, causing problems. Just two free cents. And don’t forget to the vent that closet, you will be able to bake cookies in there!
Posted By: Murph Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/11/09 03:53 PM
Looks very similar (but not exactly) to the one I used. Worked great.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/11/09 04:14 PM
It looks good to me. I bought mine from Radio Shack many years ago and they never had any large ganged outlets like that.
Posted By: mrbiggyworth Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 02:34 AM
These guys have a decent product but its a little more than I want to spend.

http://www.hometech.com/home/picshow.htm...0Medial%20Panel

Have to save a little for an infrared repeater...
Posted By: RickF Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 02:45 AM
I went with one similar to your first pictured wall plate, actually went with a couple of them. If you get too many plugs on one plate you'll find yourself fumbling around whenever you start trying to get the wires connected without mistakes. I kept all speaker connects on one plate, Cat5 on another, Component and so on. I even ran all of the subwoofer cable connects (6 for my room) on it's own plate to keep all wiring grouped together, trying to keep it simple for my old self.
Posted By: myrison Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 04:08 AM
I don't remember you having six subwoofers Rick. Have you been holding out on us? \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 01:32 PM
No I sure don't Jason, but I am prepared nonetheless!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 01:39 PM
hook up that 350
Posted By: Wid Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 01:52 PM

I say Rick should buy a couple of those Hsu subs seeing they're on sale \:\) He could do a full comparison and review.
Posted By: RickF Re: Media Closet Hardware - 02/12/09 02:05 PM
Randy I do have the 350 hooked up, it's working out pretty good ... I ended up moving the 600 to the front wall and the 350 mid-sidewall near the seating, so far, so good.

The only item I'm going to be spending extra money on anytime soon is gas for the boat. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards