Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/27/09 07:37 PM
As most of you know, HSU's top of the line ULS-15's offer built in wireless. One transmitter at the receiver sub out jack, can control upto 4 of their ULS15's placed anywhere in the room where there is an AC outlet.

So far I have not been able to find a 3rd party wireless solution, that offers a frequency range for sub purposes, most of them don't go low enough.

Just curious if any of you have found a solution that works and will transmit well below 20hz?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/27/09 07:50 PM
How about this

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/buttkicker-rf-link-12-2004.html
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/27/09 07:58 PM
That is one to consider, here are others I've found at a higher frequency, but specs don't show they go low enough, at least what I can tell.

AudioengineW1

Soundcast Subcast

Phonic W5
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/27/09 11:11 PM
I'm dubious.

I mean, if the notion of sub cable quality is EVER a factor, how can you in good conscience rely upon a wireless solution? Personally, I'm going to let that particular technology mature a bit before I jump in.

Copper is king.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/28/09 01:07 AM
All I can say is the people I've talked to on AVS that have used the HSU solution says there is no difference audibly or on graphs. It is non-compressed, and the only possible difference would be a slight millisecond delay which can be accounted for in the receiver. One guy is famous for bass excursion tests at very high SPL levels, with no difference.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/29/09 02:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'm dubious.

I mean, if the notion of sub cable quality is EVER a factor, how can you in good conscience rely upon a wireless solution? Personally, I'm going to let that particular technology mature a bit before I jump in.

Copper is king.

I dunno, Tom. There's some excellent sounding wireless mic systems out there and they're carrying more of a full-range signal. I think if it's well designed, optimized for those few lower octaves and combined with our reduced-sensitivity to distortion in those lower octaves, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference.

Of course, you'd have to worry about your neighbors breaking into your wireless sub network and stealing LFE.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Wireless solutions for subwoofers? - 03/29/09 08:37 PM
I agree Mark, our church band is all wireless, can't tell a difference. Also, when I saw Van Halen last year, I'm pretty sure it was mostly a wireless set, including some of the instruments. I'm guessing if HSU as put this technology in their top of the line sub, it must work.
© Axiom Message Boards