Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CooLJ92 Tweeter deffractors - 03/30/09 09:12 PM
I noticed on a magazine that the MK Sound speakers have some sort of deffractors. What exactly is the purpose of these and will tweaking an M60 with a deffractor make it sound better?

j
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/30/09 09:34 PM
It doesn't sound good now? \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/30/09 09:56 PM
Some say they make a difference, others not so much, care to spend your money and try out a set and post your thoughts?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/30/09 10:13 PM
I'm of the opinion that, as this is a very cheap change, if Ian and co felt it improved the sound of the speakers, they would have done it.

That said, everyone has different preferences. Perhaps you would enjoy the change, assuming there is one. M&K uses them, and that's not a company known for frippery.
Posted By: fredk Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/30/09 11:36 PM
There are a few speaker designs that use these effectively, but if they are not part of the original design, their effects would probably be more negative than positive.

Axiom speakers already have very good on vs off axis response.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/31/09 02:54 AM
J, the tweeter used in all the Axioms has a diffuser(a term more commonly used than diffractor)in front of the dome to help disperse the very high frequencies more widely.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/31/09 03:03 AM
I knew that.

<whistles>
Posted By: alan Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/31/09 06:33 PM
Ken, nice use of the word "frippery", not a word one comes across in everyday colloquy.

What news of the squeaking woofer?

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/31/09 06:35 PM
It squeaketh not! It squacketh! Or squarketh. Actually, more of a sizzleth. JC said y'all want me to send in the whole shebang. I'm of the opinion it's the amp portion, but you're the experts.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tweeter deffractors - 03/31/09 06:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: alan
Ken, nice use of the word "frippery"

It comes from the mid-16th century French word friperie, meaning old or secondhand clothes.
Posted By: davekro Re: Tweeter deffractors - 04/03/09 11:24 PM
Well Peter, I dare say you are using "showy or unnecessary ornament in architecture, dress, or language." \:D

I poked my nose in the wine thread for the first time. Your brother sure does have a wine vocabulary. I have no idea what he is saying, but it sounds good! :o)

Edit: What is this spoiler? I just did strike thru a few words and that came out??
EDIT: #2 Oops, I now see 'strike thru' next to 'spoiler'. But what is 'spoiler'?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Tweeter deffractors - 04/03/09 11:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: davekro
what is 'spoiler'?

Warning, Spoiler:
This!

Posted By: davekro Re: Tweeter deffractors - 04/03/09 11:49 PM
Yeh, yeh, I saw what shows on the post, when spoiler is selected. But what is it supposed to represent, dude? \:\/

\:\)
© Axiom Message Boards