Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 03/31/09 11:18 PM
Now that I have adjusted my sub out from the receiver up substantially (pun intended) I decided to give the auto-on feature another go.

I leave my Behringer feedback destroyer on and this seems to keep the sub on at all times, even when the receiver is turned off. If I turn the BFD off, the sub turns off a couple of minutes later.

Has anyone else tried this combination successfully?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 02:54 AM
sorry fred, no bfd at the plex, I leave the auto on/off feature enabled on my 350's, and they wake up once detecting a signal, helps with the electric bill as well. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 03:40 AM
I have an auto on/off problem, but not the one you describe.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 03:55 AM
they make pills for that problem. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 04:11 AM
That's a problem I don't have.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 04:18 AM
Very helpful, thanks. I may have to put a call in to the audio experts tomorrow.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 05:48 AM
Without the BFD, does the auto on/off work properly? Unless the BFD is sending a constant (loud) subsonic signal (or one way above the crossover point), I can't see it not operating.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 07:32 AM
I will try taking the BFD out of the loop completely tomorrow to see what happens.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 09:55 AM
Yeah, the only way I could see this happening is if your BFD is outputting a subsonic hum to keep the sub alive. If it is, it might only be doing it when it isn't being fed a signal...i.e., when the receiver or pre-pro feeding it is off.

Worth checking out, though!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/01/09 01:13 PM
 Quote:
That's a problem I don't have.

Did I need that visual? NO.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/02/09 05:23 PM
OK, I did some playing and it seems I am just impatient. The auto-on works just fine with the BFD, it just takes longer than I thought to turn off.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/02/09 06:19 PM
When your sub turns automatically on at lower volumes (just enough volume to pop it on), does it work properly? Mine just puts out a quiet, static noise several octaves above what it should be playing until I crank the volume enough to get it to pop over.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/02/09 11:43 PM
I'll have to try it at lower volumes tomorrow (working nights right now) and see what happens. Since its just me in the apartment, I don't usually need to worry about how loud I am.

Have you ever paid attention to how long after you power down the receiver the sub powers down? I think its around 10 minutes for me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/02/09 11:44 PM
Something like that. Well, mine's on a trigger now, but I still use the auto on/off.
Posted By: davekro Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/03/09 04:01 PM
All this auto on/off talk finally made me go to ALL the trouble of switching my 3 subs from 'always on' to 'auto'. (had set there since Audyssey runs long ago, to be SURE they were in the loop ;o)
I take lazy to an art form!
(my work for the day is done) ;\)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/03/09 07:32 PM
I can't wait to get a real sub with a trigger (and a real pre/pro to trigger it). I use the signal sensing now, and during some films without intense music or explosions sometimes the sub goes into stand-by. Then, when something finally does blow up, I don't get the front edge of the boom. Just a little click of a relay.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/03/09 07:41 PM
The EP350's auto on/off is remarkably fast.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/04/09 07:16 PM
Ken. I did a little more testing today and my sub plays normally even when switched on at very low levels. I was surprised at how low a volume it switched on at. I really could'nt hear the sub though I could feel working it if I put my hand directly on it.

I am quite happy with this feature now that I have a strong enough signal from the receiver to trigger it.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/04/09 07:19 PM
Chris, try boosting the signal strength from your receiver and reducing the gain/volume on your sub. The first time I tried to use this feature, it would not work for me at all because the level from the receiver was to low.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: EP350 Auto-On and the BFD - 04/06/09 02:38 PM
I have my receiver's sub output at +0 dB. I guess I could push it higher, and cut the sub. Really though, most of the time it isn't a problem, just a few movies/TV shows that get extremely quiet for a long period of time.

I'll have an EP500 in a couple months anyway.
© Axiom Message Boards