Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mistico Grounding A/V equipment - 04/09/09 09:15 PM
I have a question regarding ground for my electrical AV equipment. I live in a 1930's house and it only has two prong outlets. All of my equipment is plugged into a power strip that goes into the wall. I fitted one of the 3-->2 prong adapters so it has no ground. Equipemnt plugged into this strip are a 46" LCD, Pioneeer RX-V1400, Denon DVD2200, and a HTPC. All the equipment has been running like this for about three years with no issues. I'm getting a little paranoid about protection for it though and plan on adding an APC H15 power conditioner.
My question is, what are the risks of running the setup like this without a ground? I live in CA and not in an electrical strorm area. I'll also be adding an Emotiva MPS-2(no worries I have M60s \:\) ) into the mix next week.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Grounding A/V equipment - 04/09/09 09:29 PM
Mine is the same, although I screwed my cheater plugs to the wall plates, so my strips/UPSes show as being grounded. I haven't died yet!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Grounding A/V equipment - 04/09/09 09:34 PM
From "This Old House":

Quote:
Danger level: Minimal, as long as you don't use an adapter to fit a three-prong plug into a two-prong receptacle. Doing so could destroy the device you're plugging in, and increase the chance of electrocution.

Maybe check with your insurer? Just an idea.
Posted By: mistico Re: Grounding A/V equipment - 04/09/09 09:36 PM
Good to know and thanks for the reply.

Where in the bay area are you? I'm in Oakland.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Grounding A/V equipment - 04/09/09 09:45 PM
Likewise.
© Axiom Message Boards