Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cb919 Dreaded 60 cycle hum - 04/24/09 12:04 AM
All,
I have been enjoying my new Axiom setup for close to a month now. My setup has been isolated so far in that I have only my PS3 and DVD player hooked up to it - I have only been watching movies/listening to music from disc or playing games.

Tonight I decided to try some regular TV so moved my HD-PVR to the Axiom setup and plugged it in. I immediately had to shut everything off as I got a very audible 60 cycle hum through the system. I have figured out that it is coming from the coaxial cable itself. As soon as I touch the coax cable to the filtered cable input on my power bar/filter the hum can be heard.

Here's my setup:

- AVR, TV, PS3 and DVD player share a dedicated circuit
- all above are plugged into an APC power bar/filter
- sub is plugged into wall on a separate non-dedicated circuit

I have tried the coax going direct to the PVR and through the APC power supply, both cause the hum equally.

I hope to clear it up this weekend, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: ihifi Re: Dreaded 60 cycle hum - 04/24/09 12:19 AM
You may want to get this, though probably will not be able to get it by this weekend.
Posted By: Wid Re: Dreaded 60 cycle hum - 04/24/09 12:29 AM

That's what I bought when the new plasma was humming away, it worked great. Highly recommended!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Dreaded 60 cycle hum - 04/24/09 12:58 AM
I didn't realize this was such a common problem as it's the 1st time I've ever experienced it. Guess I've been lucky. Thanks for pointing me to a solution.

Out of curiosity and cheapness , is there anything I can do with my existing wiring/grounding to resolve this? I have my cable signal split to feed my small upstairs system and the Axiom HT in the basement. I do not experience this hum upstairs.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Dreaded 60 cycle hum - 04/24/09 05:29 PM
Update - after doing some research on what causes the hum I played with my wiring and was able to eliminate it. I was able to use a pre-existing coax ground block and wire it straight to the main ground wire for the house so the cable and HT share the common household ground.

Yay - I can watch the F1 from Bahrain in high def and surround this weekend!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Dreaded 60 cycle hum - 04/24/09 06:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: cb919
I was able to use a pre-existing coax ground block and wire it straight to the main ground wire for the house so the cable and HT share the common household ground.

If I am not mistaken, that is the way it is supposed to be hooked up any way.
© Axiom Message Boards