Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Bluray movies in DolbyHD on my 3808, how? - 06/03/09 12:18 AM
Ok, got a Panny BluRay hooked up to my 3808. When watching movies that are supposed to have Dolby HD my Denon receiver still shows Dolby D + PLIIx, shouldn't it say something about HD?

Or do I have to turn off my rear speakers, doesn't this work?
Most BD disks have D+ by default. Check the Audio menu on the disk. Same as, in the past, 2ch was default instead of DD5.1.
It is Superman Returns, says on the box:
Dolby True HD, Eng 5.1
PCM English 5.1
Dolby Digital Eng 5.1

Are you saying it should say this on my Denon 3808 display?
Well, if I hit the Audio button on my Panny, it says I'm in Dolby TrueHD, I guess I figured the Denon would show something else on the display, looks the same as when I watch SD movies.

Hmmm, anybody else have any ideas that have the 3808 and a BD player?
If you are using bit-stream to the receiver and letting it do the decoding from the Panny, the 3808 I believe is supposed to show the HD sound format.
Check the config on your Panny. Is it configured to down sample or to be passthrough.
Otherwise, what you are seeing is peculiaer (I have a BD-30, so what you are reporting seems to make sense unless the player is configured strangely).
I have the BD605 same as BD60, on the Audio settings it is set to Bitstream. I don't see a passthrough option? I have HDMI hooked up to Denon 3808.

OK, this is weird, it now is showing Dolby HD+PLIIx on the screen, not sure what the heck I changed, hmmmmmmmm.

\:\)
Bitstream is the same as passthrough.

Originally Posted By: sirquack

OK, this is weird, it now is showing Dolby HD+PLIIx on the screen, not sure what the heck I changed, hmmmmmmmm.

\:\)

Might be an obvious suggestion, but was the disc still only playing the menu or previews...(since the better encoding is often not on the audio of "extras")....?
nope, it was actually once the movie started. I went into the Panny menu's and verified a few things (bitstream, etc.) which was the default, then when I looked at the screen it was saying HD>

It is possible that my mind was playing tricks on me, ha ha I think they call that Break In.

Now I need a 1080P projector, ha ha
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
It is possible that my mind was playing tricks on me, ha ha I think they call that Break In.

Nah, it's just that your mind starts to go after 10,000 posts. I don't need to point out the evidence, do I?

I'm only half-mad, as I'm getting close to 5K.
Also make sure you have secondary audio turned off in the Pany.

If the 3808 is receiving DD HD, it will display that.

When you pop in a BR, always go to the "audio" or "language" menu of the disk itself. 9 times out of ten, if the disk has more than one audio format on it, you will have to manually select DD HD or DTS HD. If you do not, the thing defaults to DD+.

Some of the more recent BR movies only have the HD track.
If the decoding is done in the player the denon will show "multi channel in" or something like that. (at least that is what mine does with my ps3)

if the decoding is done by the 3808 I think it should say dolby truehd, ect.

© Axiom Message Boards