Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SpacedCowboy Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:13 AM
Anyone got any recommendations for stands that complement (and fit!) the Axiom audiobytes ?

Have just bought the speakers, but having them about 6-8" off the desk would be just about right, and it's proving hard to google ones that are that high, and also have a small footprint for the speaker to rest on...

Cheers,
Simon
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:15 AM
Simon, have you considered making some? I dunno, kinda seems like a fun project to design and build.

On the other end of the spectrum. . .soup cans might work in the interim.
Posted By: CV Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:24 AM
Ha ha, I still haven't figured out stands for mine. Sean, I think you suggested I make some, too. I should really get around to doing something about that.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:29 AM
You know, I'm not overly handy, but I had fun making some amp stands. Nothing too complicated. Did it old school and cut pieces in a miter box and sanded and glued and stained.

I also thought about trying to make speaker stands and spent a lot of time looking around Home Depot and Lowes looking for pre-cut stuff that I could put together. I'm thinking maybe little pieces of moulding or small cut pieces of decorative wood may make for an easy put-together project for the Audiobytes?
Posted By: CV Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:37 AM
Hey, want to make a Medusa bag while you're at it?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:38 AM
Can I use pipe cleaners and a plastic bag?

Aw, Charles, look!!! We've already hijacked Simon's thread!! That was quick.
Posted By: CV Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:41 AM
I think we really helped him!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:43 AM
I'll keep telling myself that too!

*whew*

Good call.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 04:49 AM
I'm thinking perhaps a monopod for a camera, if those have flip up tops. But they probably don't. But small camera tripods might be a place to look.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 09:06 AM
Are you a handy type of guy? I would make a set of wooden mini stands for the Audiobytes. Another idea would be to use some Lexan. All you have to do is heat it up to make it pliable then bend it to the shape and size you desire.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 10:43 AM
If someone wants to send me an Audiobyte setup, I'll make and send them stands.

(only! Ha Ha Ha haaaahaaaaahaaaa.....)
Posted By: SpacedCowboy Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 02:56 PM
. So I guess that's a 'No' then... \:\)

I could do the woodwork (I built my own aquarium stand and canopy that's 6' long and about 8' tall with the aquarium in it, and those things have to be absolutely true, no errors allowed, otherwise the glass will eventually break - the weight of the water causes too much stress).

The problem is that I don't have the time right now [sigh]. Working at Apple sometimes involves 12-hour days and 6-day weeks - hence the speakers in the first place; I need some decent music to listen to in the office , to stop myself going insane...

I'm a bit surprised that Axiom don't have a set of stands, given that they do other ones, and that the speakers are pretty unique in their typical deployment. The closest I've found available commercially are the 'wood technologies' WC-10.5 stands, but they have 8" square tops, which would just look poor. Having spent the cash on speakers that look good, I don't want to plonk them on top of stands that look like they're for far larger speakers...

Oh well, perhaps there's some large candle-holders, or blocky-type book-ends I can find on Amazon...

Simon
Posted By: alan Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 08:33 PM
Hi Simon,

I'll pass along your suggestion for dedicated Audiobyte stands to El Capitan at Axiom. And by the way, I want to compliment you on using the correct spelling in your first post of complement, which almost no-one knows how to use correctly.

As a former magazine editor, I'm a bit of a word-maven, but I always like to encourage good grammar and correct usage.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 09:05 PM
You does?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/03/09 09:11 PM
A good gran'ma does not tolerate spilling mistakes.
She has for credo never to leave a mass.
Posted By: Golden Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/04/09 01:54 AM
Like moths to the flame...
Posted By: alan Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/04/09 02:18 PM
ha, ha. I does indeed.
Posted By: SpacedCowboy Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/04/09 03:55 PM
So, I'm going for a custom pair from Tyler Acoustics ...

They'll make them suit the dimensions of the speaker, and make them 11" high, which puts the tweeter at ear-height on my desk \:\) I think the glossy blue finish speakers will look pretty darn gorgeous on those \:\)

Simon
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/04/09 05:52 PM
That looks good.
Posted By: HAY Re: Stands for the Audiobytes - 06/05/09 03:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: SpacedCowboy
I think the glossy blue finish speakers will look pretty darn gorgeous on those \:\)

Simon

I would love to see a photo when done. I saw a whole slew of different color pallets for speakers once at the Axiom plant including the blue and an orange...but not any speakers in that finish.
© Axiom Message Boards