Axiom Home Page
Posted By: moose Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 12:46 AM
Has anybody heard any sound difference? Are spikes better for hardwood floors? I could try this myself but save some time if someone got info. I have m80s on carpet with rubber feet.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 01:14 AM
Unless you have a peculiar situation with some vibration, the feet are there especially for stability and will not deteriorate the sound. The spikes are used with carpet and the rubber feet with hardwood floors.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 02:15 AM
Spikes are intended to give speakers a firm footing on carpet by penetrating through to the subfloor. If you have hardwood, use the rubber feet. The spikes would damage leave small holes in your floor.
Posted By: fredk Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 07:45 AM
I prefer 6" heels myself. Oh, you're talking about speakers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 11:03 AM
Now THERE's a product someone needs to develop to fill a niche: Stiletto Heel Speaker Feet for those with a fetish for feet / shoes AND a preference for fine sound....
Posted By: Adrian Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 01:31 PM
Use the 6" ones for the highs.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/25/09 05:08 PM
Stilettos just don't last long on anyone around me
Posted By: fredk Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/26/09 02:10 PM
I'll have to remember that if you ever invite me over to party.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/26/09 05:54 PM
Call it the Jedi mind trick, but I found spikes made more tactile bass. So much so, that I used spikes with metal disks on my hardwood floors to keep that mechanical link to the ground that the rubber seeks to limit, without damaging the floor. could be crazy, but I like the spikes.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/26/09 10:38 PM
There has to be something to isolating the speaker from what it is sitting on. After I got the Auralux MoPADs and put them under my center channel, I re-ran the auto-setup of my receiver and it detected it as a Large speaker instead of Small. So it seems that it was producing more measurable bass.
Posted By: dewd Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/27/09 02:04 PM
I have Mopads under my center, rubber feet on my mains, and 2 Great Grammas under my sub. I use the rubber feet even on carpet since I don't want the floor and windows to be part of the sound. My system doesn't have as much 'tactile response' as it once did, but the sound is so much cleaner (clearer) now, it makes it so much nicer to actually hear everything (instead of hearing windows and doors rattle). Now floor only vibrates when it is supposed to (like the fish tank scene in Finding Nemo).
Posted By: Argon Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/27/09 09:31 PM
Mine are barefoot - neither rubber nor spikes and they sound great. Are you guys suggesting that the sound would be even better if I had attached the feet?
Posted By: grunt Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/28/09 02:21 AM
I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference using the feet but elevating my M80s about 1-2 feet off the ground improved the front soundstage some and greatly improved the ambient effect with 2 channel music and even a little bit with 5.1.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/28/09 04:28 PM
Come on guys, just because there are feet with some utility, doesn't necessarily make it better .
Posted By: fredk Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 03:48 AM
no but... 6" spikes. Sexy. Know what I'm sayin?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 02:38 PM
Fred, I definitely know what you're saying!! I think I should start a new dress code for some of my caregivers \:\) .
Posted By: Murph Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 04:06 PM
Although she might surprise you by wearing 6" spiked, Gene Simmons boots. Although thinking back to 'some of your caregivers' pics, she could probably still pull it off.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 05:13 PM
Speakergrrl was into that schtick!

Posted By: CV Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 05:16 PM
The real Speakergrrl still is.
Posted By: Murph Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 05:30 PM
I was actually thinking of Gene's Dragon fanged versions.

Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 05:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
Call it the Jedi mind trick, but I found spikes made more tactile bass. So much so, that I used spikes with metal disks on my hardwood floors to keep that mechanical link to the ground that the rubber seeks to limit, without damaging the floor. could be crazy, but I like the spikes.

I concur. This is exactly how my M80's are set up.

I also just like the way the speakers look with the brass spikes. IMHO, just a tiny bit fancier than the rubber doorstops.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 05:50 PM
Murph, here's a couple pictures of former caregivers \:\) . Laura is a dear friend, Sarah and I talk once in awhile, and Kia and I had a falling out (I fired her).

Laura (on the right), her friend and I

Laura and Kia

Laura again \:\) !!

Sarah (on the right)

Posted By: Murph Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 06:21 PM
You use the best employment agency EVER !!!
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 07:01 PM
I think this forum is slowly becoming just a big "look at the hotties that take care of wheelz" show.

Keep 'em coming. ;\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/29/09 08:22 PM
There is a funny story surrounding the first picture, that Laura and I will never forget.

We are at her place (shared with her university friends) in that picture, and as you can probably tell I'm well on my way \:\) , but her friends kept feeding me alcohol. I was extremely drunk when we left the house to go to the bar at around 11:00. On our "walk" to the bar, Laura hopped on the back of my wheel chair and I went out into the middle of George Street (one of the busiest streets in Peterborough) zooming along, and Kia was getting quite upset LOL, so I drove back up onto the sidewalk, but upon doing so, we drove straight into a big tree \:D .

At the end of the night, Kia had to push me out of the bar because I had passed out in my wheel chair.

Oh, good times!!

Here's a picture of Laura sitting on my lap at her wedding. It was taken just before I took her out onto the dance floor.

Oh the memories that these last couple of posts I brought back.
Posted By: moose Re: Rubber feet or spikes - 07/30/09 11:35 PM
The Gene Simmons boots are cool but where do you mount the speakers?
© Axiom Message Boards