Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rage96 Where is the Hole - 09/27/09 05:26 PM
Just wondering why the VP150 has no port, all the other speakers do.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Where is the Hole - 09/27/09 05:30 PM

Oh. Thought you were going somewhere else with that. I dunno.
Posted By: CV Re: Where is the Hole - 09/27/09 05:38 PM
I imagine they made it a sealed design because it's a center, meaning there's a good chance it wouldn't have breathing room?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Where is the Hole - 09/27/09 05:38 PM
I would guess that for easier mounting anywhere, in a cabinet, etc., a non-ported design was chosen.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where is the Hole - 09/27/09 07:56 PM
From my conversations with Alan, it's because it sounded better without it.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Where is the Hole - 09/27/09 11:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: rage96
Just wondering why the VP150 has no port, all the other speakers do.

Placement to performance is probably a consideration as well they might have found a sealed design could offer better power handling.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Where is the Hole - 09/28/09 03:44 PM
The VP100 is also sealed.

Aren't the QS models sealed, also?

This all makes perfect sense to me. The main speakers *may* be used for full-range or for music only in stereo. Consequently, they need to provide a bit more depth.

In contrast, the center channels and the surround speakers would presumably be used in tandem with a home theatre receiver and a subwoofer. So, the need for additional power handling is far more important than the ability to produce frequencies below 80Hz. I also agree that placement is an issue; MANY folks end up with suboptimal placement of the center channel (including me) and adding a port would only make the situation worse.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Where is the Hole - 09/28/09 04:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
The VP100 is also sealed.

Aren't the QS models sealed, also?

This all makes perfect sense to me. The main speakers *may* be used for full-range or for music only in stereo. Consequently, they need to provide a bit more depth.

In contrast, the center channels and the surround speakers would presumably be used in tandem with a home theatre receiver and a subwoofer. So, the need for additional power handling is far more important than the ability to produce frequencies below 80Hz. I also agree that placement is an issue; MANY folks end up with suboptimal placement of the center channel (including me) and adding a port would only make the situation worse.
I think you covered it quite nicely.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Where is the Hole - 09/28/09 05:08 PM
yup what Tom said. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards