Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cb919 mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/13/09 02:58 PM
My library until recently has been all mp3 and I have religiously used MP3Gain to apply a track gain normalization of the default 89 dB to each file in my library.

So now as I have started adding flac files instead of MP3 I would obviously like to normalize these to the same level. I have downloaded and tried Foobar2000 but don't quite get how the replay gain tags work and are calculated/applied. Is there any way I can set the replay gain tag to 89 dB as in MP3Gain?

I believe I could let Foobar2000 look at my whole library and do an average normalization across that, but I am trying to avoid that as 1)it would take a very long time and 2)I don't want to mess up my library I am already happy with and undo the work I have done with MP3Gain.

Has anybody else encountered this? Any ideas/solutions? Thanks!
Posted By: cb919 Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 04:10 PM
Bump.

OK, does anybody use volume normalization on flac files? Anyone? Bueller?
Posted By: Murph Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 04:50 PM
I don't but strictly for superstitious reasons.
Posted By: jakewash Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 04:52 PM
I love that movie.

I think a few programs are able to do it just most do it with playback through their interface, IIRC Winamp does it this way. Sadly I use winamp to rip but have never used it to playback my music, I always stream to my Denon 3808 \:\)

Media Monkey and EAC (Eact Audio Copy)might be 2 to check out. I know once I get into my new house next year I planned on re-ripping my music with EAC, I seem to remember one of those 2 being able to volume equalize upon ripping, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Riker Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 05:06 PM
Hi Dan,

There is a Normalize Tab in EAC were you can set the db of your choice to normalize to. With EAC, you can rip to WAV or Mp3.. I rip to WAV then convert the WAV to Flac using the Flac FrontEnd software.

Cheers,

Steph
Posted By: jakewash Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 05:30 PM
I guess that was why I planned on using EAC
Posted By: cb919 Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 05:53 PM
Apparently I need to start using EAC for ripping.

Steph - Why not go to flac directly? Does EAC not allow this?

For stuff I already have in flac, can EAC just apply the normalization to the file without having to re-rip the source material?

Thanks guys, this is starting to form a plan in my head now.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 05:56 PM
EAC is just a ripper, it makes WAVs. It does have provisions to call an MP3 encoder by default. It is possible to customize the encoder command line options to call the FLAC encoder instead. It's a little bit of a hack, but works well. For help Google: eac flac
Posted By: cb919 Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 06:32 PM
Wow there's a lot of options out there for flac! OK, I have some homework to do but I will get there.
Posted By: Murph Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 06:56 PM
Not truly a "Hack". EAC lets you call many sorts of conversion engines after it rips to a wave. To make MP3s you download the Lame engine and point it there and to make FLACs you download the FLAC engine and point it there. The trick is that not every setting for flacks is presented in the GUI so you need to add a few command line parameters for things like your file name preferences.

Short instructions showing the process with screenshots.

Basically, it's download & install FLAC then do this.

Save all your settings as a profile. Then you can load your MP3 profile file as needed then switch back to the FLAC profile as needed.

Now if you want it to automatically do a flac then an MP3 in one button push, it gets trickier but honestly, there are easier tools for that.

I use EAC because it's complexity tricks my brain into thinking the music will sound better. heh hehehe heheh

Posted By: jakewash Re: mp3 vs. flac volume normalization - 11/18/09 07:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph

I use EAC because it's complexity tricks my brain into thinking the music will sound better. heh hehehe heheh
That's pretty much the reason I am going to re-rip with EAC , that and just to ensure I have 2 complete libraries, one for streaming to the 3808 and the M80's and one for AAC for the iPods in the house.
© Axiom Message Boards