Axiom Home Page
Posted By: donlboy M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 01:10 AM
I'm looking at using M80s with an 83" screen, with the bottom of the screen about 36" above the floor to fit the needed PJ geometry. The M80 tweeters look to be around 36" above the floor, which is quite a bit below the center of the screen, which is about 60". Will I get significant benefit from raising the M80s about 12-18" off the floor, say with concrete blocks (covered to look good)? They might look pretty tall, but the sonic image should be more in synch with the image. Any thoughts?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 01:14 AM
Personally, I don't think you need to raise the m80's that high off the ground, unless your ears are off the ground that far. My m80's sit on a stage which I believe is about 8" tall, so that is a good location for the people in the front or back row seating. The goal is to have your tweeters as close as possible to ear level when seated, that goes for the center channel as well. However, the center channel can be slightly angled to acomplish the sound direction.
Posted By: grunt Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 05:08 AM

Hi Don, I can’t say if you will get any significant benefit in your situation but I have noticed a big difference in my previous room but not as much in this one.

Previously, in my apartment (16 x 12 x 8), I placed my left and right M80s on either side of my HDTV on cinderblocks raising them about 8. This made a big difference in the amount of ambience in 2.0 music and a little better integration with the surround speakers in multi-channel. I sat only about 6’-8’ away from them on a futon.

Now in my house (21 x 13 x 8-11 vaulted) my M80s are below my 134” diagonal 1.78:1 screen which I am sitting 14‘-15’ away from on recliners. I have no issues with the sound not seeming to come from the screen. I have tried the left and right M80s on milk crates and found it improved the ambience a little for 2.0 but not much. I didn’t notice any improvement for integration with the surrounds.

Best I can figure out it made a bigger difference in the apartment because I was sitting closer and that raising the tweeters got them above the level of the futon which was a sonic black hole. My suggestion is if you can experiment do so since there are just so many variables it’s hard to know what will happen in your situation.
Posted By: SRoode Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 04:02 PM
I was looking to raise my M80s 6" higher for 2 reasons. First (less important) was to bring them to the same height as my EP800s. The second reason was to raise the tweeters a bit since I have an elevated back row in my theater.

Does anyone know of any 6" stands that would accomodate the M80s?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 04:28 PM
A saw a picture of some stands someone bought (or made?) a while back... but I forget who and what thread.

Some help I am. \:\(
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 05:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
I was looking to raise my M80s 6" higher for 2 reasons. First (less important) was to bring them to the same height as my EP800s. The second reason was to raise the tweeters a bit since I have an elevated back row in my theater.

Does anyone know of any 6" stands that would accomodate the M80s?

Exactly the same situation as me! Please let me know what you find if you don't mind. I will do the same should I discover a solution.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/17/10 05:31 PM
Personally I would just make some boxes, fill them with sand to cut down on resonance and finish them to match the M80s as closely as possible or just a nice gloss black \:\)
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 01:04 AM
Sure why not!

Posted By: terzaghi Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 01:59 AM
Killer looking Theater!!!
Posted By: donlboy Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 03:02 AM
That gives me something to think about!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 05:26 AM
Very nice!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 06:00 AM
I love the look in there.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 06:54 AM
Great looking setup. Dual centers? How do they sound? Are the dark panels acoustic treatment, or just meant to cut down on any glare from the projector?
Posted By: grunt Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 09:12 AM
Nice looking room! Are you running stereo subs?
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone.

grunt - Not stereo subs (my setup only has one LFE channel). Just dual EP500s using a splitter on the LFE channel. I noticed you have the Panny 4000 projector. I have the Panny 1000. Nice projector. I would sure like to compare it to the 4000.

BigHonu - Dual centers work great for a projection setup. It makes the sound seem like it's coming from the center of the screen. Thus the raising of the M80s (to be more centered with the centers and for the back row seats). I run each center on it's own amplifier to avoid any impedance issues that may happen if wired in parallel. The dark panels on the ceiling are just regular painted ceiling panels for two reasons. To reduce the glare from the screen and to make the ceiling look like a dark sky for the ceiling "stars". Not a very clear picture but here it is.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 03:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: NDinUSA
Thanks everyone.

grunt - Not stereo subs (my setup only has one LFE channel). Just dual EP500s using a splitter on the LFE channel. I noticed you have the Panny 4000 projector. I have the Panny 1000. Nice projector. I would sure like to compare it to the 4000.

BigHonu - Dual centers work great for a projection setup. It makes the sound seem like it's coming from the center of the screen. Thus the raising of the M80s (to be more centered with the centers and for the back row seats). I run each center on it's own amplifier to avoid any impedance issues that may happen if wired in parallel. The dark panels on the ceiling are just regular painted ceiling panels for two reasons. To reduce the glare from the screen and to make the ceiling look like a dark sky for the ceiling "stars". Not a very clear picture but here it is.

What are you using for dual centers?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 04:35 PM
Here is an older pick of my front stage.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 05:05 PM
You say "older pic" so what does it have now?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 05:16 PM
Basically the same, no change. I have the grills on now. ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 05:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: htnut

His screen is a bit more wrinkled, his woofers are sagging and he can't get a rise out of his tweeter.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 06:26 PM
Nicely done! Have you noticed an improvement in overall sound quality with the M80s higher up or was it purely to achieve better SQ for the rear seating?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 06:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
 Originally Posted By: htnut

His screen is a bit more wrinkled, his woofers are sagging and he can't get a rise out of his tweeter.

\:D \:D
Posted By: BigHonu Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 06:55 PM
Looks great all around guys!
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 07:02 PM
htnut - dual VP150s for centers.

jakewash - I raised the M80s mostly for the rear seating. I usually sit in the raised back seating area. It's hard to tell if there's any better all around SQ improvements. I do think it helps for the back seats.
Posted By: RickF Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 07:43 PM
You have a great looking setup ND, nicely done!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M80 Rasied Above Floor Level? - 01/22/10 11:58 PM
And a few from back in the day when I was a newbie around these parts. One with treatments, and one before treatments...I kinda miss my mansfields....

© Axiom Message Boards