Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jmone Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/01/10 05:10 AM
I've had my Algonquins for about 6 months and just took the front covers off while checking polarity (see other thead) and noticed that many (but not all) of the little hex nuts that hold in the drivers are already rusting. Is this "normal" and what else may be rusting?

Thanks
Nathan
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/01/10 01:19 PM
Hi jmone,

Somebody posted some pictures of their Algonquins last year that suffered from that rusting symptom of the screws as well discolouration of the cabinet - the white was turning yellow (after comparing under the grille).

I searched for the thread but to no avail. I remember this individual was asked to return his speakers back to Axiom for a replacement.

As for the rusting, it is not something I would expect from an outdoor speaker at this price and especially just after 6 months. You should ask to return these for Axiom to inspect. Hopefully Axiom can improve on the build quality after seeing whats happening to these speakers in what areas and certain weather conditions.

Good luck.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/01/10 11:19 PM
Those hex screws/nuts should be made of stainless(if they aren't).
Posted By: RickF Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/01/10 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Those hex screws/nuts should be made of stainless(if they aren't).

This was my very thought whenever I first read this post. Living near the ocean I've found that being very selective with exterior fasteners or any metal to be used outside is paramount to it's longevity, I couldn't begin to tell you how many boxes of stainless steel screws and hardware I've used over the past several years.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/01/10 11:37 PM
Me as well, now there are varying grades of stainless. I would still call Axiom and ask them, they should not rust or discolor.
Posted By: Murph Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/02/10 12:50 PM
Agreed. I can't use anything but stainless at my house either due to salt spray in the air. We have to wash our windows after every north or NE wind or it's like looking through frosted glass.

This all could have been avoided if they took me up on my offer to do environmental testing at my house, as I suggested. smile smile smile
Posted By: jmone Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/03/10 08:33 PM
FYI - I spoke with Noreen who said they have replacement hex screws/nuts to send out and assures me they are the only "bits" that would be rusting.
Posted By: Jc Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/04/10 08:43 PM
Hi All,

Axiom is now using stainless steel hardware for its Algonquin outdoor speaker model. The risk for rust has been completely eliminated . . . no more parts left on the speaker which can rust away.
Posted By: jmone Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/04/10 10:45 PM
Thanks JC - I take it those screws/nuts were the only Mild Steel parts in the Algonquin that will "rust", but out of interest - any comments on how things like the copper voice coil will perform as it tarnishes in these conditions?
Posted By: jmone Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/04/10 10:53 PM
Another Q JC - just want to double check that the existing Algonquin we have don't have any other rustable parts in either the Speaker Enclosure (all plastic I think) and the tweaker/woofers themselves (frames, baskets, spiders, coils, plates, magnets, poles etc etc).

Thanks
Nathan
Posted By: Jc Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/10/10 03:22 PM
Hi jmone,

All the screws and bolts are in stainless steel. The other components, which you are referring to and could suffer from oxidation, are safely protected against it by a special coating.
Posted By: Jc Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/10/10 03:27 PM
Originally Posted By: jmone
. . . noticed that many (but not all) of the little hex nuts that hold in the drivers are already rusting. . .

Hi Nathan,

Send me an email with the details of your purchase at jc@axiomaudio.com and I will have stainless steel replacement ones ship to you.
Posted By: jmone Re: Algonquins - Rusting Hex Screws? - 08/10/10 09:02 PM
Hi JC - Noreen has already been in contact (I've sent you a copy of the e-mail) about replacing the bits. It was more of a followup Question on what else over time could go wrong.
Thanks
Nathan
© Axiom Message Boards