Axiom Home Page
I've tried to encourage Axiom to go down this path in some of our counsil meetings, but they felt that the technology is not their yet, which I kindly disagreed.

Looks like Outlaw has been busy perfecting a product at a decent price with no interference from the many current wireless technologies.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html
Very cool, hopefully, there will be some review soon to see if it matches expectations (ie no interferences at all).Thanks for the link.
I'm a bit skeptical, but I'd be interested to find out if it works.
I received the NEW product notice from Outlaw a few days ago and I am skeptical here as well. It still uses 2.4 technology and there are many documented issues with interference with that particular range no matter what the company says in their advertising, ala Hsu ULS 15.

I am pretty sure Alan stated the interference issue as to the reasoning why Axiom hasn't pursued the wireless speaker that was reported awhile back.
Yes, Alan is one of the members of our conference calls. As I mentioned, they think the technology is not their yet, but really haven't done much research and development at this point.

Multiple subwoofer placement is something Axiom has promoted for some time, which has been other topic of discussion on past calls. Perfecting this technology would be great and get rid of the tangled web of cables many of us have. Only time will tell I guess, and hope the reviews will come soon.
I wonder if they could use the DECT spectrum for wireless audio, possibly less interference issues?
If you're happy with 32kbit/sec G.726 encoded digital audio (i.e. sounds like a cordless phone), then sure they could use DECT.

I wonder if these Outlaw devices aren't even performing a analog/digital-digital/analog conversion, but instead modulating the analog signal on the 2.4 GHz carrier. Don't see how that'd be free from interference though. So maybe they do have ADC and DACs involved. Another reason to not trust the tech for anything but subwoofers.
Amphony, a German company, is using 5.8 GHz digital transmission. Specs look OK but SQ will, among other things, be dependent on the quality of the ADCs and DACs.
http://www.amphony.com/products/wireless-audio-transmitter-receiver.htm
Sonos job opening signals entry into wireless home theater audio? (Engadget)
I honestly don't know why any manufacturer thinks that anything at 2.4GHz will be interference free. There's a reason DECT has made a comeback.

5.8 GHz 'may' work but your range is limited and just wait until someone turns on a microwave.

All the more reason why I ran extra RG6 all over my TV room.
Aren't we all forgetting that all these speakers still have to be plugged into a power source? So much for wires-free on wall surround sound installations. (I guess you could have your electrician install outlets on the walls behind the speakers - but if you're going through that trouble, why not just have him install speaker wires in the wall instead?)

Given the minor very minor convenience/aesthetic advantages, the technical trade-offs don't seem worth it.

After my troubles using my RF remote to control my system due to interference with other items, I don't have much faith in this system. After all, the speakers might work today, but what happens when you have a baby and incorporate the video monitor that happens to share the same bandwidth as your speakers?
You see and hear your baby cry really loud and crystal clear? grin
I don't have a problem with powered speakers. Nay, I prefer them. I would rather send a low-level signal across the room (via balanced cables), and have the amp(s) attached directly to the speaker.

I just don't think sending an analog signal (or the double conversion involved with digital) wirelessly is the right thing to do. What would be cool is if someone made a receiver with wireless HDMI, and sent the original digital signal via a standard protocol. Then the speakers could take the digital signal, perform some DSP magic on it for crossover and EQ work, then amp each driver directly.
If I was going to consider this it would only be for the sub.
© Axiom Message Boards