Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Babyface EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 07:56 PM
I've had my EP600 for a long time. Started buzzing recently. I doubt it's ground loop. Disconnected from the LFE input and plugged with a cheater plug and it's still humming. Removing the ground screw makes it much worse. any advice

The sub is out of warranty by about 2 months, if the amp needs replacing, any clue what they cost?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 09:49 PM
If you haven't made any changes to your system such as adding any new electronic components or cables and cheated the ground on the sub I highly doubt it is ground loop issue that is causing the humming. Does the sub still hum when there is no connection to the receiver, just plugged into the wall outlet?

It could very well be that the amp has kicked the bucket. Call support.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 10:16 PM
If the sub still hums with only the eletrical power feed plugged into the wall then it is the amp and a call to Axiom should be done ASAP. I would hope they still cover it if it is just 2 months out of warranty or at least are very generous with costs.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 10:27 PM
I agree, I hate it when electronics go kapooey 1-2 months after warranty. I swear manufacturers do this on purpose. smile I would call Axiom right away, they man the ones late.
Posted By: Babyface Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 10:47 PM
It's a light, persistent hum. It's there even if the sub is just plugged into the wall. I think I was wrong on the warranty. Apparently the amp is only 3 years? I bought it Christmas '05.

The sub seems to works fine other than the hum. It's just noticeable and kind of bothersome. I can't unhear it. Cheater plug does nothing. Turning it off and unplugging it are the only solutions. I honestly think it started after my circuit breaker clipped one time recently. It's faint enough that maybe I missed until recently, but like I said, I can't unhear it.

I've contacted support. Hopefully I can find a resolution.
Posted By: CV Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 10:49 PM
Yeah, I hope they have a nice resolution for you. That hum would bother me a lot.
Posted By: Jc Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Babyface
. . . I honestly think it started after my circuit breaker clipped one time recently . . .

Have you tried plugging it on a different circuit?
Posted By: Babyface Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Jc

Have you tried plugging it on a different circuit?

Yes, it doesn't seem to matter.
Posted By: Babyface Re: EP600 Hum - 02/19/11 11:38 PM
I don't mind paying to replace the amp(too much). Hopefully it would be an updated version, as mine is a v1. Although I don't know if later versions shared the shape amp shape.

For now I just turn it off when I'm not watching TV. Just knowing it's there erks me though. Should be silent.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP600 Hum - 02/20/11 12:52 AM
If it is under warranty I would assume you should not have to pay anything.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP600 Hum - 02/20/11 01:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Babyface
I don't mind paying to replace the amp(too much). Hopefully it would be an updated version, as mine is a v1. Although I don't know if later versions shared the shape amp shape.

For now I just turn it off when I'm not watching TV. Just knowing it's there erks me though. Should be silent.

It would be very important to tell them the amp version v1 and also if you will need the adapter they ship with their subwoofers with the replacement amp. Not sure if the connection you are using currently is RCA or XLR. It wouldn't hurt to also measure the length of the wires that make the connections to make sure your replacement is the same for proper orientation and installation of the new plate amp.
Posted By: Babyface Re: EP600 Hum - 02/22/11 07:01 PM
About what I thought. Roughly $600 to replace the amp. I'll have to mill it over. So far I've been dealing with it ok. $600 is enough money to consider using it as a down payment on a different sub.

I think the support agent is probably 3rd party, so the questions I have will have to relayed through him to Axiom. But I am interested to see if I would get an updated version of the amp and what features I would gain if any.
Posted By: Jc Re: EP600 Hum - 02/22/11 08:59 PM
Hi Babyface,
The replacement amplifier is an Axiom Canadian desing and fabrication and, commes directly from Axiom Canadian factory, no middleman. It will be different than the one you have now; it will be the latest version. You can see how it looks at EP600 Amp

There will be a small difference the knobs will be black.
Posted By: obsi Re: EP600 Hum - 02/27/11 04:57 PM
And if it still hums, maybe it just really doesn't know the words...
© Axiom Message Boards