Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Robert_W EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 03:09 PM
Well....I give up. Don't post too much on this board but thought I needed to at least pass the info along.

My EP -600 is once again all but dead. Output is down to about nil. It is on it's 5th amp that is now dead. I won't be putting in a 6th.

There's a lot more info here from previous posts:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthre...7495#Post337495

I don't abuse my audio equipment. I have an almost 20 year old M&K MX-200 sub that still works great. Puts the EP-600 to shame. Same with a bunch of other equipment. Everything is hooked up to power protection. Rarely do I ever play anything at "reference" levels. Just normal home use. Mostly music. Also have a bunch of other Axiom stuff. 2 rooms full. M80's, VP-150, M22's, Q-8's and 4's and an EP-350. All of them work just fine.

But IMO the new amp design on the new subs....EP-600....is crap. Sorry folks but you really missed the ball on this one. There's just no way I should be on my 5th amp, let alone needing a 6th. Go back to the old analog design. It was SOOOO much better.

Seems you are trying to save $$ by utilizing a cheaper / less quality amp design. Not good. I've said it before and will again. I'd rather drop an extra couple hundred dollars in the first place than have to deal with endless dead amps.

In their defense the folks at Axiom have always been good to deal with and truly do want things to work. Wish it did. But weeks / months of down time are just too much any more. Time to move on.

2 - HSU ULS-15's on the way.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 03:28 PM
Wow. That is a shame.... Both that you are dropping Axiom for their sub line, and that you have had so much trouble. Those two HSU 15-inchers will be quite impressive.
Posted By: Robert_W Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 03:50 PM
Yeah, I really am bummed. But in a way happy as I'm moving on to better sound.

Honestly, when I first got the EP-600....with it's first amp design. It was an absolutely wonderful sub. No complaints at all. Loved it.

Ever since the new design on the amps it has been mediocre at best. Never been the same.

And I'm not posting this in a "bashing" sort of way. I like these folks. They have been good to deal with. However I can't be alone in this regard. there must be others out there having amp issues. So maybe if enough of us post the problems Axiom might step up with a better designed amp.

But enough is enough for me any way. Can't justify replacing it (amp) again only to know it will still be just "OK" and never like it was originally.

Such is life....
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 03:51 PM
I had a problem back when I got my EP600v2, but the replacement amp has been going strong since then with now issues, and I really work it hard. I guess if there is no cost to you, not sure why you would not work with Axiom to get a replacment, very strange that you gone through that many amps, I see a pattern.
Posted By: Robert_W Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 04:23 PM
And I'd be truly happy if I could figure out what that pattern is.

I've tried everything that I can think of to get it to work and or figure out why it's dying.

I have multiple dedicated 20 and 30 amp circuits to my audio / video area. All of it on good quality protection. New home with good wiring. I've tried hooking it up to different ones.

I've taken the driver out of the EP-600 and put it in my EP-350....it works great. I've taken the driver out of the EP-350 and put it to the EP-600 amp(s)....on multiple occasions now every time one of these new amps bites the dust....nada. Mind you 2 of these replacement amps were DOA!

I have 3 other subs in my home including the EP-350. Every other one of them works fine when I hook them up to the same cable that runs the EP-600.

My M&K MX-200 has been hooked up to the same system (Outlaw 990 pre amp) for the same amount of years playing exactly the same material and it just works. Period. Original amp. And it's 20 years old give or take a year or two.

I've tried balanced and un-balanced. Same results. I've tried running both subs RCA on a split Y cable and or one balanced the other RCA....nada. I've tried just one or the other and not running two. Same results.

Do I like to crank it up once in a while? Yup. But rarely for very long and never to any kind of levels that I would consider damaging to anything.

The sub has been in the same spot since day one.

The only thing that I can think of is that I leave it in standby and don't turn it physically off at the switch. But that shouldn't be a problem. If it is then there shouldn't be a standby mode!

I just can't come up with anything else other than poor quality amp design. But I'm all ears to suggestions.

As far as cost...well...the last set of replacements costs was in the hundreds of dollars cause the original amp was not 5 years but 3 on the warranty. And yes, the 6th one would still be covered as it has been less than a year. (Only got a year on the last replacement)

But there's a lot more than just the monetary cost here. Down time....again....and again...replacement hassle...and just the fact of knowing that even with a new amp replacement it still won't work like the original....is just too much now. Remember....this would be the 6th amp!

Just don't want to deal with it any more.

Posted By: davidsch Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 04:30 PM
Bummer. I don't blame you for moving on. I have been very fortunate to have one amp in the five or so years that I have had my EP600.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 05:16 PM
I'm not going to quote anything but a purely subjective observation here, but of all the posts i've seen on Axiom products over the years, the most complaints of failures i've read about seem to be with the EP600. Again this is just my observation of posts i've seen with complaints relating to a technical problem as opposed to a general irk about sound quality, dislikes of the vinyl finish, or whatever else.

The first few months i had M60s, i had to get two drivers replaced. They were making a buzzing noise with certain frequencies and this is something i would not have expected from a new product. Since having them replaced, there's been no issue and i'm still happy with the sound quality as they anchor our main HT setup.

However, I am still not the biggest fan of our EP350 sub because again, at certain low frequencies, the port chuffing noise is an audible fault. A partial fix was to secure some speaker baffle material over the inside of the ports to reduce the airflow speed which has helped to mute the chuff noise. It's been awhile since i've watched LOTR though, so maybe i'll give that a go this weekend and remind myself why i'm still contemplating some kind of replacement after all these years.
In fairness, Axiom did address the port design in newer versions and i've been leaning towards the EP500 or a Hsu as a replacement.

Some products just don't work for some people. Sometimes there are just random lemons in the bunch.
What can you do?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 06:04 PM
It seems like this particular unit might be a good one for Axiom to take back as an experimental unit to see what could possibly be wrong with it. Wouldn't expect full price, since you did get some use out of it, however problematic over the years.
Posted By: Robert_W Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
It seems like this particular unit might be a good one for Axiom to take back as an experimental unit to see what could possibly be wrong with it. Wouldn't expect full price, since you did get some use out of it, however problematic over the years.

All of the previous amps were sent back to them. Open up the new box, take the new amp out and stick the old one in and ship it back. I even asked that some one let me know what the verdict was with the dead amps via email, phone, what ever. I never heard a thing from them. And believe me, after numerous phone calls and emails they knew how to contact me.

I'm not asking for anything this time. I'm done with the sub. Hopefully Axiom will take this all into consideration and fix the problem / design for the future and others.

Actually I'm donating this thing....and my M80's / VP-150... to our local high school. (This thing dying again was the catalyst to replace the whole front end. So "in transit" are new Polk RTi A9's, a CSi A6, and the aforementioned ULS-15's. Time for something new. For now I'm keeping the QS8's as 90% of my listening is stereo music.} We live in a very rural town and the kids in the music dept / shop class don't have much. They can put the speakers to good use and make a project out of trying to fix the sub. If they blow it up it doesn't matter. They'll learn something trying. I think I might even be able to use the donation as a tax right off. Maybe not. Either way it's good for the kids and the music dept.
Posted By: Brent Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 07:40 PM
This is disappointing to hear. It is very unusal to have the recurring issues that you have had and I am hopeful that you would remain a part of the Axiom family.

I can attest to the performance of the EP600 which I have had from inception. It has performed flawlessly over the years and with the introduction of our new amplifiers, I replaced my working original amplifier and have never looked back. I get the same performance with the new amplifier as I did with the old and find that the new amplifer actually lets me adjust the gain on the subwoofer amplifier with greater accuracy.

If you would email me, brent@axiomaudio.com, I will see if I can find a history of the replaced amplifiers for you.
Posted By: Robert_W Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 10:00 PM
Thanks Brent, email sent.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/11/11 11:34 PM
Two thumbs up to Brent.

I can't say I ever understood that 'time for something new' thing, but I hope you like your Polks.
Posted By: SBrown Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 12:42 AM
Donating your M80's!! I wouldn't let anyone touch my babies,let alone give them away. What version of the speakers and sub do you have...
Posted By: Robert_W Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Donating your M80's!! I wouldn't let anyone touch my babies,let alone give them away. What version of the speakers and sub do you have...

Version 2.

There's more to the donation thing than just "giving them away". One of my best friends is high up in the school faculty.

The community / area that we live in is very rural and most of the kids and families here don't have much. Think "white trash welfare type". Something like 80% of the kids families qualify for free food programs and all kinds of assistance.

Not the kids fault though that their parents are worthless POS.

Any way, my wife and I, though not rich by any means, are better off than most and we have donated many things over the years. From X-mas trees to computers and furniture. (Not to mention my tax bill!)

So far from being tossed aside. These speakers will just be getting a new home in a music or band room and will be put to good use.

Think of it this way. An Ipod is "quality" to these kids. If just ONE child is able to hear better sound and it plants a musical seed that some how changes their life in a positive way then I don't care if I get a dime out of it. There is no monetary value that I can put on something like that. Music has always been a very important part of my life and maybe I can help that happen for some one else.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 01:33 AM
That's very nice of you to make a donation to a school like that. If it is a high school or lower I wouldn't recommend them working on the subwoofer amp though. Get the school to send the amp back to Axiom to fix so they can get it back up running. Messing with an amp can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

A university? Sure. They have students and faculty that specialize in all facets of engineering and research - electrical, mechanical, materials engineering, engineering physics.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 03:00 AM
Robert, yes it's certainly understandable that you've finally had it with the EP600 amps. I'm really not enthusiastic about class D amps switching several hundred thousand times a second and wouldn't consider one for a separate amplifier. But I do have to point out that my EP500, a month short of six years and approaching 15,000 hours of play, has been trouble-free.

Possibly Brent can shed some light on the problem with the returned amps.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 04:33 AM
Unfortunately, for a band/concert type scenario, these are not the type of speakers that are ideal, seems like such a waste. Looking at your posts, you started with an EP500 and now we are talking about an EP600, so it does not appear we are talking about the same sub from beginning to end. Those are your only posts about this problem within 1 year, wow. It appears Brent was actually involved in your first complaints since January. Anyway, hope it all works out for you.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 04:53 AM
Randy, it appears that he previously had joined in on another member's EP500 thread, but it was in regard to his EP600.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 04:50 PM
John, how do you track your 15,000 hours of play?

Robert...

Quote:
One of my best friends is high...

Far out, man.

grin
Posted By: Robert_W Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/12/11 04:54 PM
One's man waste is anothers treasure. I assure you they aren't going to waste.

John is right. Previously I purposely posted in an active thread on a EP-500 that was having similar problems as to NOT have multiple threads of a "bashing" nature. Believe me, I could get a lot more pissed about this but it isn't worth it. I could post this on dozens of different forums. But I won't. Not my kind of thing as the folks at Axiom have always been good about it. If they weren't I'd trash them to all points of the net. But they really have tried to help and I have no doubt that if I wanted to pursue it now I could get another amp. I don't care that much about it any more other than to inform. It's just a subwoofer. Time to move on and try something else.

FWIW ....you can look yourself. I joined here going on 6 years ago now after I made my initial purchase. And sang their praises. I'm just not a hang around the boards and chit chat kind of guy.

All of my other stuff still works fine. I'm happy with it.

And John, though it doesn't get nearly the use of my 600...by rough calculations my EP-350 has been plugged in and always in standby mode for roughly 48,000 hours. 5 1/2 years or so. Still works just fine.

Posted By: JohnK Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/13/11 03:14 AM
Tom, I don't literally "track" my precise listening time. It's just a rough calculation resulting from the fact that I listen to classical music on average about seven hours a day.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/13/11 05:01 AM
Well, that's much less interesting and glamorous than I had imagined.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/13/11 12:56 PM
What? No Rock?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/13/11 02:40 PM
I always thought John was a DJ at the largest classical radio station in the states. smile
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/13/11 02:49 PM
John DJs techno music, he just prefers classical at home.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/13/11 04:57 PM
Holst's Planets, redone as dubstep. I can see it now.
Posted By: Brendan Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 12:50 AM
When I got my VP 800 about half a year ago, the amp in it was also deffective. It was replaced hassle free and has been ok ever since. The only issue with it is the 12v switching sometomes does not turn it on. I have also had 2 mid ranges replaced in both of my m 80's also due to a buzzing noies at certain frequencies. I assumed the cone was starting to seperate from the voice coil a little bit. Recently, I have also requested a new woofer for my vp 180 centre chanel. It is not responding like it should be. I have always had great experiences with Axiom, and will continue to purchase their products. I would also agree that I would be happy to pay a little more to not have these issues.

Cheers, Brendan
Posted By: chesseroo Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Tom, I don't literally "track" my precise listening time. It's just a rough calculation resulting from the fact that I listen to classical music on average about seven hours a day.

I think you do track your time John. Come on now, show us your spreadsheet...
smile

I don't think i do anything for 7 hours a day except sleep, and maybe work.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 02:50 AM
Not really, Brian. I've listened to samples of popcrap that was highly praised and occasionally borrowed a library pop CD, but I've never found anything that I wanted to hear a second time.

Chess, my spreadsheet contains 23,461 items.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 03:27 AM
Not even Sade? I'll agree with you that most of the pop stuff is crap. But, dumpster digging is bound to reveal some truly good nuggets from time to time.

The Safest Place

Sade sampling
Posted By: fredk Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 04:07 AM
[quote=chesserooI don't think i do anything for 7 hours a day except sleep, and maybe work.
[/quote]
Not even... oh, right, your married.
Posted By: dakkon Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 04:49 AM
My EP-600 doesn't have an amp in it at the moment.. and i am debating whether or not to get another amp for it.. it is past its 5 year warrantee period. However, with that said, the amp had about 1,500 hours on it when it died... Not much at all for a period of 5 years of use... The way i know the hours is the Sub has the same number of hours that my projector bulb has....

I have to decide if i want to spend 600$ on a new amp for the EP-600, or move on to another company as well... Right now i am using 2 JBL 8" subs that are about 12 years old and have thousands of hours on them.... Granted they have no where near as much punch as the empty 600 that is still sitting in the room use to have though..

I have also though about buying a plate amp for the 600, and "getting that to work" I don't know what the failure rate of these amps actually are, but there are and have been a number of problems reported on the forums. However, i would imagine this is a small percentage of the total quantity produced... But with that said... it DOES suck to be the one with an EP-600 with no amp in it, my amp died about 4 or so months ago....

Originally Posted By: Robert_W

2 - HSU ULS-15's on the way.

Having just looked these up.. on Sale for 1,100$ each.. thats only about 400$ more than the amp for the EEP-600 (i was considering running 2 600's) i think this is what i will go with. I will find a plate amp and get the EP-600 "working" again at later date and have that for a secondary system...
Posted By: Murph Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 11/14/11 01:09 PM

I can understand it. I did just that with my old Harmon Kardon speakers and about 30' of leftover speaker wire from before my Axioms. A Boys and Girls Club close by was building a HT/gaming room in the basement.

I was really impressed with how how were setting it up for use. The kids had to earn HT room credits by participating in physical activities. Kids with disabilities that prevented the more physical fun, earned points by participating in more social type games and activities.

The kids didn't have to go out of their way to earn these points as this was all stuff they were probably doing before there was a choice. Just now, they couldn't shirk away from the previous physical stuff completely to spend all their time in the HT/game room.

My donation wasn't nearly as extravagant as M80s but I liked knowing they were appreciated instead of gathering dust in my closet.
Posted By: audiovue Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/15/12 02:00 PM
Hi,
I have the same problem. With m'y ep 600 amp v.2 and i am enjoy with Axiom after warrantie service.
Brent accepting replace my v2 amp for brand new v.3 amp.
It is normal with électronics having some probs And i am consider i am on l'y ont Lucky...

And if you sent back the sub probably résolve yourte problems

Regards
Robert Lussier
I've reread this thread today, as I did read it originally when it was first started. Tough call I think, as this wasn't an on going issue with 600's owners. If it had been, then Axiom would had to have treated this matter like the auto industry, as part of a recall, I would think.

Earlier in my life I worked as a Industrial maintenance mechanic for thirteen years. Dealing in mechanical, electrical, and sometime electronic diagnostics and repairs. It seems to me that the mathematical probability that each of these five amp being defective, and being the sole cause are astronomical to say the least.

My training then tell me there is something else in play here about this particular unit, which leads to the amp failure.
If this was my situation, I would have asked for a replacement unit.

Axiom is well known for it's research & development, normally this means forward looking going out. But sometimes one must take a step backwards, to look at what has already been researched & developed. Now again I stated earlier I thought it was a tough call, because it was an isolated situation. Axiom was certainly not obligated in anyway in having to take back and exchange this unit. But I would have still asked, especially knowing that I've made numerous purchases from Axiom in the past.

Who knows, if asked, Axiom may had gladly taken it back to try and find an under lying problem with this unit. They could have possible resold it as refurbished (not taking a total hit) and making a totally satisfied customer as well. Making customers happy is what Axiom is well known for.

These are just my thoughts, I don't fault anyone on the handling of this particular matter. The OP as he has stated, has moved on, did a very nice deed in donating his Axiom gear locally. I hope he's enjoying his new HT equipment as well.
Posted By: dakkon Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/15/12 08:31 PM
Gary, when my amp on my orignal version 600 failed, Andrew tested it on the work bench.. The main board had died... The first version of the amp was a 1 channel 600W amp... the new amps are 2 mono channel 300W amps...

As you know i wound up getting a new amp for my old 600... the new amp has a 5 year warrantee..

The op's problem could have possibly been something within his house, maybe in adequate wiring or low voltage.. Since as voltage drops current has to increase to maintain the same amount of power....

No telling....
Posted By: SBrown Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/15/12 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Gary, when my amp on my orignal version 600 failed, Andrew tested it on the work bench.. The main board had died... The first version of the amp was a 1 channel 600W amp... the new amps are 2 mono channel 300W amps...

As you know i wound up getting a new amp for my old 600... the new amp has a 5 year warrantee..

The op's problem could have possibly been something within his house, maybe in adequate wiring or low voltage.. Since as voltage drops current has to increase to maintain the same amount of power....

No telling....

Now you see my power cable asphyxiation! sweet.
Posted By: dakkon Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/15/12 09:52 PM

Now you see my power cable asphyxiation! sweet.

wink It wouldn't be as much entertaining around here without some harassment :~)
Originally Posted By: Robert_W

I've tried everything that I can think of to get it to work and or figure out why it's dying.

I have multiple dedicated 20 and 30 amp circuits to my audio / video area. All of it on good quality protection. New home with good wiring. I've tried hooking it up to different ones.

I have 3 other subs in my home including the EP-350. Every other one of them works fine when I hook them up to the same cable that runs the EP-600.

My M&K MX-200 has been hooked up to the same system (Outlaw 990 pre amp) for the same amount of years playing exactly the same material and it just works. Period. Original amp. And it's 20 years old give or take a year or two.

dak, I agree, you are absolutely right, high current and electronics are certainly not made for each other, over time high current win that battle each and every time. The OP made some statements here though, which steered me in the direction I took. New home good wiring, quality protection, he also did some trouble shooting as well.

These days with all the electronics one might have in a home(appliances,computers,office equipment,TV's,auto equipment,garage door opener, etc)if there was a voltage problem he would know, as a pattern would had developed.

I all agree with you, who knows what the problem was.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/16/12 05:09 AM
I have a Dahlquist PDQ 1500. It's been running every day for more than 10 years. I have a Velodyne CHT10. It has worked every day for 19 years, never let me down. I had a Kenwood SW300, 12" sub, worked fine until I cranked it with the Dreamworks version of HG Wells' The Time Machine. Blew little pieces of rubber all over the room. A spectacular demise actually though followed by a sad degrading series of farting noises.

These EP subs, just seem to expire frequently and without drama. What are the chances of an EP600 outliving its warranty? Someone must have run the numbers.
Posted By: obsi Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/16/12 09:18 AM
Well, my original EP500v2 is turning 5 next year without issues, hope it lasts longer.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/16/12 12:30 PM
Why on earth did this thread get dug up?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/16/12 02:17 PM
To annoy you, apparently.
Posted By: medic8r Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/16/12 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
I had a Kenwood SW300, 12" sub, worked fine until I cranked it with the Dreamworks version of HG Wells' The Time Machine. Blew little pieces of rubber all over the room. A spectacular demise actually though followed by a sad degrading series of farting noises.

You have a gift for words.

I laughed, I cried ... wink
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
A spectacular demise actually though followed by a sad degrading series of farting noises.

I fear that this is how I'll probably expire as well. grin

Onward and upwards!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: EP - 600 Dead. Again. 6th amp needed. - 04/23/12 06:59 PM
That's funny!!! I hope better for you and for yours Audiosavant !!!

And, here's a tissue for you Mr. Medic8r ..
© Axiom Message Boards