Axiom Home Page
Posted By: glenmac how is it done - 12/12/11 02:47 AM
the small Bose radios actually sound pretty good considering it is just a small radios how is it done?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 03:26 AM
marketing magic!
Posted By: jakewash Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 03:30 AM
Are you talking about the Wave radio?

If so it is hardly small compared to other radios, but it does sound pretty good. I believe it is due to the layout of the tubing/porting for the speakers; this gives it more volume to play with.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 03:30 AM
They sound fine for what they are - a clock radio. But at the same time overpriced for what they are - a clock radio. I've read that the engineering staff was subject to a really low per/unit cost in the design of the radio. Typical of most Bose products that yield huge profit margins relative to the MSRP.

The biggest problem you will run into using one of the radios outside background music is compression at higher volumes.

If you like the Bose, try the Harman Kardon sound docks designed by Harman. They are a step up over the Bose.
Posted By: glenmac Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 10:47 AM
Yes its the wave radio a friend has one. I've invited her over to hear my stereo.
Posted By: alan Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 04:47 PM
Jakewash is correct: the Bose Wave radio has a longish maze-like port tube, so it does produce bass output.

All the other comments are indeed accurate.

Better sounding--more neutral--and less expensive, I think, are the "PAL" radio and several other models from Tivoli Audio. The late Henry Kloss (pronounced "close"), was the brilliant engineer and innovator behind the original Kloss table radios and early (1960s) KLH products. The Tivoli Audio radios continue Henry's design approach, which uses small drivers and a very good sounding equalization circuit to get respectable bass from a very small enclosure. My Tivoli Audio bedside clock radio is also ported.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: BobKay Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: alan

The late Henry Kloss (pronounced "close"), was the brilliant engineer and innovator behind the original Kloss table radios and early (1960s) KLH products. The Tivoli Audio radios continue Henry's design approach, which uses small drivers and a very good sounding equalization circuit to get respectable bass (pronounced "base") from a very small enclosure. My Tivoli Audio bedside clock radio is also ported.

Regards,
Alan

Posted By: medic8r Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 06:18 PM

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 06:35 PM
Hey Look, Everyone! It's Dr. Nick!

Hiiiiii Dr. Nick!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: how is it done - 12/12/11 06:37 PM
I have a Cambridge Soundworks CD "Clock Radio" that's designed the same way. For what it it, it sounds nice.

Not real bass, mind you, but not "thin" sounding either.
© Axiom Message Boards