Axiom Home Page
Posted By: a401classic High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 05:30 PM
This sort of thing always reminds me of Christmas Vacation's Grandma saying "it's making a funny squeaking sound". So we're all at my brother- in-laws and he has a Mac mini connected to a pioneer avr, amongst other connections like blu ray and wii. Only when feeding from the mini does he get a high pitched whine, both with streaming and disc play. Not a 60hz noise, but much higher. He does not have cable TV and all electrical connections run thru a 2-prong plug, so no ground-loop issue.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 05:42 PM
What output is he using on the mini? And what generation of mini is it?
Posted By: a401classic Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 05:58 PM
HDMI from mini to avr. About this mac says mid 2010, 2.4ghz IC2Duo, running OSX Lion.

While looking at connections, he does have a cable modem, but he's using the Ethernet connection from modem to mini...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 06:20 PM
Hmm. So not so easy to just plug in a pair of headphones and see if you hear it... might be worth a go anyway. Just see if it's a software thing or a hardware thing.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 06:29 PM
You will need to buy a white, proprietary Apple de-squeaker. They are a bit pricey, but your life will be better with it of course and you will never know what you did without it. There will be a newer de-squeaker out next year that won't be much better, but you will be convinced through clever marketing that you need it. You seem smart enough to know that is just a rouse since you already own a 2 year old Mac...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Posted By: a401classic Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 06:46 PM
Smart, of course wink but also very gullible. Search for de-squeaker turned up nada. A link, perhaps?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 07:38 PM
I've heard that type of noise before, but it was always the analog sound card picking up something from within the computer. HDMI should be digital all the way, so noise shouldn't be able to sneak in.

In other words...I dunno.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 09:45 PM
I actually own a de-squeaker...

This picture is almost a year old, but she is still compact and really has a knack for ripping the squeakers out of her toys....

Posted By: J. B. Re: High pitched hum with Mac Mini. - 06/08/12 09:51 PM
very nice photo of your dog (He speaks). :-)
© Axiom Message Boards