Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Diamondog Speaker cable question - 10/30/12 02:32 AM
Is it ok to join speaker wire? I've got all cables out of the way except one of my rear surrounds and need to get the cable out of the way as it is running across the floor in the way. The only option I have at this time is to run a longer cable than I currently have available. I have my current cable which is too short to do this but I do have more than enough spare to add to the existing if that is a viable option. I can order a longer length but I'd like to get the cable out of the way now rather than later....I don't have a soldering iron, is it feasable to twist and tape? Thanks.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Speaker cable question - 10/30/12 02:52 AM
Temporarily? Sure. Long term, I wouldn't mess with anything short of a whole new run, or a solder and shrink wrap job. Tape WILL come off over time. At a MINIMUM I would crimp some connectors...

Some will argue that you are going to lose signal quality because of a splice, which is true, but I am more concerned with the wires not just falling apart from each other and you getting zero signal.

PS. A cheap-o $10 soldering iron kit that comes with electrical solder will work just fine. Grab a couple bucks worth of heat shrink and be done with it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speaker cable question - 10/30/12 07:44 AM
DD, splicing the speaker wire can't cause any sound problem as long as the splice holds and the two wires are carefully separated. If it's going to be in a spot that'll be difficult to access(e.g., behind a wall)you'd want a firmer connection. Otherwise, twist and tape will be sufficient.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Speaker cable question - 10/30/12 06:42 PM
i would put some shrink wrap around the joint..Then you will be good to go..

to clarify, use 2 pieces of shrink wrap, one on each joint..
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker cable question - 10/31/12 01:55 AM
Had to do something similar for my recent remodeling job. You can get shrink/solder connectors all in one. I think I just used a wagnor hot air gun and it made a permanent connection.

Posted By: dakkon Re: Speaker cable question - 11/01/12 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
Had to do something similar for my recent remodeling job. You can get shrink/solder connectors all in one. I think I just used a wagnor hot air gun and it made a permanent connection.

That would be ideal for a the OP. Due to not having a soldering iron....
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker cable question - 11/01/12 01:24 AM
a hair dryer might work smile
Posted By: SBrown Re: Speaker cable question - 11/01/12 01:26 AM
A lighter works great.
Posted By: AdrianD Re: Speaker cable question - 11/01/12 02:47 AM
I'd be more concerned about the length of the wire and it's diameter. What's the longest run you'll need? And what gauge is your wire that you intend to use?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker cable question - 11/01/12 03:56 AM
Originally Posted By: AdrianD
I'd be more concerned about the length of the [CENSORED] and it's diameter.

That's what she said?
© Axiom Message Boards