Axiom Home Page
Posted By: J. B. Garage Door - 11/17/12 02:39 PM
for a very long time, i've heard of some people using a recording of someone banging on a garage door with something like a hammer.

this kind of recording, if well done, should be an excellent test of many different facets of sound reproduction.

does anyone know if such a recording exists, and where it can be gotten ?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 03:15 PM
to be honest you have me scratching my head, not sure what your asking.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 03:29 PM
I think I understand what you're asking, but it really sounds like more audiopile insanity.
Posted By: alan Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 04:08 PM
Hi,

Such a recording would drive me crazy, I suspect. I've never heard of such a thing, even in the rarefied realm of extreme audiophilia. The only percussion instrument that might simulate that effect would be a large-diameter Chinese gong, made of hammered bronze. These range up to 5 feet in diameter and are hit with a padded mallet. But in terms of the frequency spectrum, they don't begin to approach a full-size pipe organ, which with fundamental frequencies plus upper and lower harmonics, covers a range from 16 Hz to 15 kHz, greater than any other musical instrument.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: J. B. Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 04:29 PM
i had heard about this once in a while since the 80's - in audio magazines - and have never been able to try it out.

i was reminded of this recently when reading on the "audiocircle" forum: « Reply #647 on: 8 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm »
at this address: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97007.640

Alan, i agree this would not be as interesting as Beethoven's 9th.
;-)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 04:39 PM
it would sound more paranormal to me if anything. smile
Posted By: J. B. Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 04:48 PM
you mean that you never banged on a garage door before!
try it and listen real good.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 05:11 PM
i have some problems with having this called "paranormal" or "insane".

people buy and play demo discs, test discs, sound effects, loud movie trailers, etc.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 05:22 PM
To be fair, I don't understand those people either.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 06:25 PM
I was just kidding around, of course if you are the one doing the banging it would not be paranormal. Also, being insane has nothing to do with that anyway.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Garage Door - 11/17/12 07:14 PM
i just went around for about an hour on quite a few streets around here and asked people if they thought i was paranormal or insane.

their answer to my survey was surely not biased in any way as they did not know me at all, and they all said i was normal and sane, giving me assurances to that fact.
you know what? i believe them.

;-)
Posted By: J. B. Re: Garage Door - 11/18/12 05:36 PM
i guess i missed the joke...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Garage Door - 11/19/12 01:32 PM
The first track on this CD should suffice: Yim Hok Man - Poems of Thunder. I bought this a few years ago and bring it out once in a while when I want to give my speakers a workout. Your subwoofer will love it, too.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Garage Door - 11/19/12 07:49 PM
i might buy that, pmbuko; will think about it.

thanks. :-)
© Axiom Message Boards