Axiom Home Page
Hi,

So the screen I am getting is going to pretty much be an inch or less away from the sides of the M80 speakers. It will be about 33" inches off the floor, which is below the height of the speaker by a bit.

I want to sew some kind of slipon cover that covers the top and the sides of the m80 so the light doesn't reflect off the screen and shine up the speaker. I propped up the two black grills that come with the speaker and it looked a lot better.

I've read things before about extra weight on the cabinets can be bad?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what you read. I don't know that I'd leave an anvil or boat anchor on my M60s, but the weight of some fabric isn't going to hurt anything.

Are you talking about building something out of wood?
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I thought I read about people painting speakers and being told they shouldn't do it because the weight would change the cabinets resonance or something.
Although axioms do sell paintable speakers.

Now that you mention wood maybe I am remembering reading about doing a reveneer on the speakers, I did want to change the color. That might be where I read the weight thing.

I just want to cutout a top piece the same shape as the top of the m80 and sew a side piece to go down the length of it out of velvet.
I have a piece of black velvet on top of my EP500 and VP160. They sit directly beneath my 118" screen and it works just fine to absorb any light bouncing off my screen. I've been using double-faced tape to hold the velvet in place for years and it's never damaged the finish when I need to remove it and put on a new piece of tape. As for my fronts, they are located on either side of the screen, but I've toed them in just enough so I don't see their sides that are facing the screen.
Awesome, thanks for replies.
Are you just assuming the light will cause distractions, have you tested it? My M80's sit right below my screen, granted they are black but have a shiny surface. My previous M60's were mansfield beach, again never had an issue. You normally will have your projector in the low light setting, assuming you have light controlled room. I guess I would test it first to see if you actually have a problem.
Thanks for the reply. Ya, there is definitely an issue. It's in my living room
The screen is between the speakers, so the whole top
Part of the side glows. I took the grills off and lined them
Up against one of the sides and it was
So much better then the speaker without a covering.
Time to get the sewing machine out.
I am also a fan of pictures.
...or...you could just go around your house, take down your "paintings" of Elvis, The Last Supper, unicorns, and clowns and lean them again the speaker sides, picture-face-in, of course.
I'm much more classy than that. In my TV room I have a hand painted picture of Homer Simpson sitting on the couch in his underwear.

It is prized second only to my family portrait of us in Simpsons style persona.
Picture of picture please.
Here is one I have posted before of the family portrait. The color is off as I kept getting reflections from the glass cover. I will have to take a pick of the couch painting this evening, if I can remember.
4 fingers and all
Was it painted from an image or from memory?
Did you zoom in on the sig yet?

Is it authentic?
Thats awesome.
I never thought I'd ever say it but I'm actually exited to see Homer
Murph, I think we need to plan a trip to Universal Orlando Resort.
Honestly, it's a long story and I'm pretty sure it came from at least a resident animation artist with the 'authority' to sign Matt's name, if not Matt himself. It was a surprise reward for helping out some vacationing strangers who were struggling a bit at sea. I tried linking to my original post with the full story, but couldn't find it via search and I'm too lazy to do it justice again.

And Yes I agree, we do need to go there!
I wish my memory was better for more useful things.... but I believe this is what you're looking for. Original Story
Huh. That is a pretty neat story.

HAY, Thats a great avatar.
Thanks, gotta love Scrat. One day when I have more free time I will get a proper photo program to do these instead of cutting, erasing, pasting and blending with MS paint, lol.
© Axiom Message Boards