Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Richard64 What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 04:57 AM
Here is another rookie question? What is bi-wiring and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Rich
Posted By: JohnK Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 05:43 AM
Rich, bi-wiring(sometimes referred to as "buy-wiring") is pretty much all con. It means using two speaker wires instead of one from the amp to a speaker, which can be done if the speaker has separate input terminals for the woofer and the tweeter. There's no advantage to the procedure and no electrical difference except that using two wires is the same in resistance as using one wire three gauge numbers heavier(e.g. two 16 gauge wires equals one of 13 gauge), so it's a waste of time and money. An analysis of the setup can be found here and heres a discussion of some interest, not because it repeats obvious facts, but because it's a cable company electing to not go along with the myth.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 07:18 PM
Ahh, thanks for that link JohnK.

My ZCLs, ZSHs, ZCHs, and ZSLs were all mixed up. Now that they're fixed, I can rest easy.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 07:27 PM
Very surprising to hear that from a wiring company. I agree with Peter, though, the other article is somewhat, uh, complicated. Especially when I'm too lazy to read through the math. :-)
Posted By: Saturn Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 09:59 PM
JohnK:
If a speaker contains only a woofer that has no crossover and a tweeter that has only a cutoff frequency then wouldn't biwire do well in this case?
http://www.reference3a.com/mmdecapo.htm
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1200/mmdecapo.htm

Saturn

Posted By: Ken.C Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 10:01 PM
I'd say biamping would work well in that case, but not necessarily biwiring. What's the difference (electrically) between biwiring and using the little strips? About 6 ft.
Posted By: Saturn Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/10/03 10:02 PM
okey
Posted By: JohnK Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/11/03 05:27 AM
Just saw this now, Sat. Took a quick look at the links and suppose it's a similar idea to the M3, i.e. the tweeter has a filtered rolloff but the woofer just rolls off naturally. As far as bi-wiring, this design wouldn't change the basic point that, as Ken implies, the only difference is that you have two wires running as the signal leaves the amp terminal instead of the two wire paths beginning just inside the speaker input terminal.
Posted By: Saturn Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/11/03 04:39 PM
Hey Johnk;

But I thought the M3 was internally wired in the crossover like most speakers. The speaker above is not internally wired. So if you take out the plates at the back and only connect to the woofers sound will only come out on the woofers. I might be wrong on this ... but if you take out the plates on the connectors of most speakers you would still have sound on both the woofers and tweeters since internally it is conected at the crossover?...no?

Saturn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/11/03 05:53 PM
Ooh, interesting point! One wonders whether all these "bi-wireable" speakers are in fact even more marketing hype than we thought!

Of course, probably not. There's no reason why the external strips wouldn't provide the connection between the woofer and the crossover network which then connects to the tweeter/mid/etc.
Posted By: JohnK Re: What is bi-wiring? - 11/12/03 01:41 AM
Sat, I didn't really follow what you were describing, but if surgery is done on a speaker and the connection is made inside at a point that leads only to the woofer, then only the woofer will operate. If it's made inside at a point where both the woofer and tweeter follow in the crossover, then obviously nothing has been changed from the outside terminal connection and both will continue to operate normally.
© Axiom Message Boards