Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 05:48 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my current predicament. As some of you may know, I use my M2i's as my computer speakers, and they are on the same desk as my monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I notice that when I slouch a tiny bit to get my ears more in line with the tweeter's height, the imaging becomes noticeably better (as would be expected).

My Predicament:
Due to application (as computer speakers), I cannot use true stands with them as my desk is too long and the sweet spot would be far behind the listening position. If I were to aggressively toe-in to compensate, the sweet spot would be way too focused to be practical (any accidental lateral movement would ruin the acoustic image).

Now on to what I would like to do:
I would like to get some 3" to 5" stands. I'm thinking some kind of concrete block, but I have NO idea where to get such a thing. I have can grab some loose red-bricks, if you guys think that would do well.

Thanks for the help,
-Will
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 05:59 PM
I think that I may just snatch a few bricks and try to see how the sound is affected. I'd imagine that it would also improve the quality of the midbass as the table wouldnt vibrate as much since the speakers won't be directly touching it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 06:26 PM
How about using 4 bricks under each speaker? Lay out 2 going left-to-right, then lay another two going front-to-back (for stability) under each.

If you want to get something that looks better, you could consult with a landscaper and ask them to get you some nice stone pavers.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 06:30 PM
In reply to:

How about using 4 bricks under each speaker? Lay out 2 going let-to-right, then lay anoter two going front-to-back (for stability) under each.

I think that I'm going to do just that.

In reply to:

If you want to get something that looks better, you could consult with a landscaper and ask them to get you some nice stone pavers.

Well the bricks that I would take are from the street (lol), but they don't look too bad imho.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 07:01 PM
Go to your local lumber yard and have them cut a block of wood at the same diminsions of your M2 and the height you want it. You can then stain them to whatever color you like.
Posted By: sushi Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 09:36 PM
How about stacks of neuroscience textbooks??? You'll have a nice excuse why you are unable to open them.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/14/03 11:09 PM
Hahaha sushi! I was actually thinking about doing just that also (as it'd be the easiest thing to do), but I wouldn't be able to get the level just perfect. I wouldn't be able to have one be higher than the other heh.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/15/03 01:25 AM
Will, I again refer to the special variable-height stands I designed and built(stacks of old Stereo Review magazines)to test height on my new M22s. Infinitely variable and totally non-resonant. Of course it doesn't have to be Stereo Review, but if the magazines aren't related to audio the bass isn't nearly as tight.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/15/03 03:52 AM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA @ JohnK!
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/15/03 05:07 AM
I did the brick thing, and I must say that I am pleased by the results. I raised them only 2.4 inches (due to excessive weight when carrying 6 of these in my back pack (3 per speaker). I have them arranged in a nice way too... Two extending backwards lengthwise and one horizontal in the front.

Sort of like this...
__
| |

Where the top represents the front of my desk.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/15/03 06:41 AM
Hey DJ;

I think Peter is just pulling your leg...again.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Stands, but not really... - 11/15/03 07:53 AM
Yeah , I know .

But seriously, the bricks worked well. They did exactly what I wanted.
© Axiom Message Boards