Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vortrex small amp and center/surround performance - 02/08/04 12:14 AM
I have a NAD T-742 (50w per channel) and am wondering if I am better off with VP100/QS4 combo as opposed to VP150/QS8. guess I am curious if my performance per $ with a small amp starts trailing off in such a way that it's not worth spending for the bigger speakers? or maybe my small amp simply can't make the bigger speakers perform? thanks!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: small amp and center/surround performance - 02/08/04 01:01 AM
It's important to look at the efficiency of the speakers. Often larger speakers (such as the M80s) have a higher efficiency than smaller ones. They play louder with less power. 50 wpc is plenty for any Axiom speakers, especially from NAD, which I think is probably more accurate in its ratings than others.
Votrex,

Greetings. I also have a NAD receiver (T762) and have the following speakers: VP150/QS8/NHT2.5I setup. The VP150 and QS8 are 6-OHM speakers, so your NAD will deliver over 100WPC in musical peaks, which combined with the Axiom's high sensitivity, should make it a great sounding combination for you.

Your NAD, although delivering 50WPC, is a high current amp and should have no issues with either the QS8 or VP150. I have found the NAD and Axiom combination to sound phenomenal, and think you will find it very nice as well. I would recommend the VP150 and QS8s anyday with your gear. The only way I would recommend the VP100 and QS4s is if you have a small room with no plans to move anytime soom, but your receiver should drive either nicely.

Regards,
thanks for the advice guys. I live in a larger space, but it is a loft condo. therefore, I won't be able to reach sound levels as if I lived in a house. just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $ for me to go with the larger speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards