Axiom Home Page
Posted By: johnbasham Static - 02/10/04 03:19 PM
Last night after firing up my music only system, I noticed this awful static emanating from my speakers. It seems that while dusting, the wife had turned the volume control up to about the 3 o'clock position. After turning it down to normal, 9 o'clock, I no longer noticed the static, but upon further testing I noticed the static becomes audible at about the 12 o'clock position. I narrowed the culprit down to my CD player. Is this normal and does it affect the final signal. Is there anything I can do to remedy it, or is it something that just shouldn't be worried about. Thanks guys.
Posted By: webbb Re: Static - 02/13/04 07:18 AM
Do you have this problem with all sources and the volume control up that high? If so, you got a dirty control. Especially if the equipment is not all that new and you never turn it up that loud. If it is only the CD source, then I would try moving it to a different input to check if it stays with the CD or not. "Tell me more."
Posted By: JohnK Re: Static - 02/13/04 08:12 AM
Just noticed this, John. When you say that you narrowed it down to the CD player I assume that you did that by plugging a different source into your 850 and didn't get the static. As Bryan indicated, you might try connecting the CD cable to the video or tuner inputs to see if there's some problem with the CD inputs on the 850. If there's static with all the line-level inputs, then the problem would be with the cable(try some from your other setup)or the player itself. Even at that high volume you shouldn't be hearing that.
Posted By: johnbasham Re: Static - 02/13/04 02:18 PM
Hi guys,
I have tried switching cables, same problem, hooked another cd player to the same inputs, same problem. I guess I need to try hooking it up to a pair of different inputs.The 850 is only a little over a year old. Should there be no noise at all, completely thru the volume range?
Thanks guys
Posted By: johnbasham Re: Static - 02/13/04 03:14 PM
One other thing, when I have the volume turned up and turn the CD player off, dead quiet.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Static - 02/13/04 06:13 PM
You say there's "static" when the volume is up and there's no signal?

After checking the CD player on another input, also maybe check what else is on the same circuit and the grounding of the outlets you're using... may be interference from, say, a water cooler, or ground potential difference... possibly RFI/EMI if you've run any wiring near noisy areas (AC, fluorescents). Most of that would show up as hum, though, not static.

Bren R.
Posted By: paulu Re: Static - 02/17/04 06:00 AM
You might have a ground noise coming from your cd player. Try putting this $15 radio shack part between your cd player and your preamp. "Ground Loop Isolator 270-054". If it works you can return it and invest in something better. If it doesn't work, you can return it.

© Axiom Message Boards