Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Saint Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 02:35 AM
So...has anyone purchased the Axiom brand cabling of any kind? I admit it LOOKS sexy and well made, but as I'm of the "cable is cable" crowd, it seems like an awful waste of money compared to generic stuff.

Posted By: vortrex Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 03:54 AM
I'm interested too, it sure is cheaper than a lot of the other cable companies (such as bettercables.com).

Posted By: Haoleb Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 05:10 AM
their terminated cables arent very cheap. i dont think anyway.

their bulk speaker cables seem like a great deal though
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 06:49 AM
How does the axiom bulk cable differ from those from radioshack or home depot? I run my setup using cable from radioshack and the 'sound' is great....just wondering....
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 02:39 PM
The sound won't be any different but:

1. If I have to pay a bit more for some speaker wire my money might as well go to a company that I respect.

2. According to what I have heard here it is a very flexible wire, thats good.

3. Most important; it is not clear coated, I abore that stuff.

4. On the coolness scale I give it a 10.

Thats about as scientific as I wish to get about wire.

On the interconnects side Axiom's is more expensive than the Monster Cables at Futile Shop.
Posted By: md55 Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 03:03 PM
I bought some Axiom bulk speaker cable. It is very flexible but nice heavy rubbery insulation. Axiom cables in general look well made and priced competitively with comparable cables. I think there is some value in the esthethics of cabling. I enjoy things that are well made. Also over time cables that don't become stiff or brittle are worth something. I just bought a Radio Shack Gold Series subwoofer cable over ebay. Good price but stiff plastic insulation. Not esthetically very satisfying. It depends on what you value.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 03:47 PM
For component interconnect cables, a good alternative is Blue Jeans Cables. They use Belden 1694a cable and Canare Connectors. They list various lengths, but if you call, they will make the length to your specs.

Lotsa research led me to them. The quality of the materials and the workmanship is excellent. They are a bit more expensive than Radio Shack, but a lot less expesive than Monster Price Cables.

For speaker wire, Home Depot is tough to beat. Find the bulk section and have them cut it for you. Less expensive than 50' or 100' prepackaged rolls.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 03:53 PM
I also abhor my spelling.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 05:02 PM
Monster Cable interconnects have the "grip of death", which can really be a pain in the backside if you ever need to remove cables from your equipment. In fact, they grip so hard, you can ruin your components.

I also second Blue Jeans Cables. I did a TON of searching, and they seem to have the best prices for interconnects by far.

If I'd not already bought my speaker cable, I'd probably buy Axiom's bulk cable. I also like Axiom's digital/optical cable.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 05:50 PM
Oh, quit being a bore.

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 07:13 PM
this is the most tame cable thread i've ever seen...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 08:01 PM
No one's making any wild claims.

And the insulation looks very similar to the stuff we use at the stadium... I don't own any of it, but if it's the same material, it's a dream to run.

Bren R.

Posted By: duffin Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/17/04 08:57 PM
If money were no object, I'd like to get the Axiom cables. They don't offer anything other than premium build quality and no-nonsense performance. But I'm still in the Parts Express camp as far as funding goes.

A friend bought a whole load of interconnects, though, and I pointed him to Axiom. He bought them so I can attest to the ease at which they hook up/unhook. I'm familiar with the death grip of other cables. Just one small anecdote - their performance is the real issue - but another reason why the build quality is top notch.

As far as performance goes, they look/sound great to me. Without any a/b comparisons, I really can't say more.
Posted By: James_T Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/18/04 09:03 PM
Has anyone here purchased the Sound King 12 GA copper wire from Partsexpress? Is it reasonably flexable? Thoughts opinions.
wire in question
jr
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/18/04 09:18 PM
I bought from KnuKonceptz. VERY happy and not too $$$. I actually got it last year when some of the wire was on sale. I have 10 ga (karma) for my fronts and center, and 12 ga (klear) for the QS8s. (yeah, i know the 10 ga would make sense for the longer run, but doesn't seem to make a difference.)

Partsexpress is highly regarded, as is home depot. can't go wrong w/ either.

Knu Konceptz
Posted By: Ajax Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/18/04 10:20 PM
Yes! I just bought 100 feet of the SoundKing 12 gauge, and I was pleasantly surprised by it's flexibility. It's not as flexible as 16 gauge, but it's much more flexible than I thought it would be.

That being said, I really think it's ugly. I felt that way before I bought it, but was unconcerned because, except for a few feet here and there, the wire is hidden by furniture. One nice side benefit is that the wire has little positive and negative symbols on the wire which helps avoid wiring your speakers out of phase.

I'm happy with my purchase.
Posted By: James_T Re: Axiom cabling: Your opinion? - 02/19/04 12:10 AM
Thanks Ajax. I've been looking at that wire. To purchase that amount and ship it two day (which is the norm for free shipping with Axiom) would cost 65.81 vs the 85.00 USD for the sexier looking Axiom cable. Oh, decisions decisions

jr
© Axiom Message Boards