Axiom Home Page
Posted By: GAB Speaker Problem - 02/07/02 09:00 PM
I lent my receiver to a friend and in the interim I replaced it with an old Rotel integrated amplifier. I began hearing a "crackling" sound coming through both speakers (especially when I raised or lowered the volume). I hadn't used the Rotel in a while (and it is quite old) so I thought there was something wrong with it. I replaced the Rotel with an old (it's a regular A/V grave yard over here) H/K stereo receiver. Same "crackling".

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

My next step is to replace all the connectors on the speaker wire.

Thanks,
George

Posted By: BBIBH Re: Speaker Problem - 02/07/02 09:23 PM
What happens with your "regular" receiver?
Crackling typically when the volume is adjusted (assuming a dial, and not an electronic system) is a dirty potentiometer, or dirty volume control. As time passes, these variable resistors can decay, corrode and become worn. There are methods to "clean" them, depending on your hands on nature.

I am assuming that the noise is there momentarily while adjusting the volume, and does not continue to be heard for the entire song.

Regards,

BBIBH
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Speaker Problem - 02/11/02 08:29 PM
Hi;

Try this...

Turn your receiver off. Then turn the volume knob up and down a few times quickly. This might clean off the dust or dirt in your volume knob.

Anthony.

Posted By: BBIBH Re: Speaker Problem - 02/11/02 09:38 PM
Goerge actually sent me a private email that the volume control was not the problem. He was working on the connectors, as he suspected them in his PD.

I guess you and I are 0 for 2 !! ;)

Regards,

BBIBH
© Axiom Message Boards