Axiom Home Page
Posted By: readster1 damaged loudspeakers - 03/03/04 09:43 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had the same or similar experience. I was listening to my speakers for any hissing or noise with the volume level on my preamp turned all the way up, I had forgotten that my cd player was on pause, and when i went to play the cd player, it blasted my speakers with full amp output. My mains are the m80's, and i'm wondering if anyone though this would be damaging to my speakers, and what should i look for

thanks alot.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: damaged loudspeakers - 03/03/04 10:20 PM
I have a feeling you'll be fine, but just to be safe, what's the output rating on your amp?
Posted By: readster1 Re: damaged loudspeakers - 03/03/04 10:36 PM
its rated at 200 watts rms @ 8 ohms, and 300 watts rms @ 4 ohms.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: damaged loudspeakers - 03/03/04 10:40 PM
Here's a thought - have you tried to listen to them since the explosion?
Posted By: readster1 Re: damaged loudspeakers - 03/03/04 10:50 PM
Yeah, they sound ok, I don't hear anything grossly out of the ordinary or anything like that. I guess i'm just wondering if i'll loose some sound quality from damage that was done.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: damaged loudspeakers - 03/04/04 11:49 AM
I think that Axiom has run up to 1,000 watts through the M80 without any problems. There may not be any problems. How were your ears?
Posted By: alan Re: damaged loudspeakers - 03/04/04 06:12 PM
Hi readster1,

It's a good thing you were using a big amp because it's unlikely that the signal was clipped. I think you'll be okay, because we have tested the M80s with as much as 1200 watts without any damage.

A smaller amp might have sent a big clipped signal through that would have caused serious damage. You could run some pink noise at medium level, and put your ear close to each driver to make sure each one is working.

Tweeters usually either work perfectly or not at all if they are damaged.

I've never had reports of this with M80s, but some damaged woofers on other speakers make scraping or buzzing noises if the voice-coil former has become misshapen or warped and scrapes on the magnet pole piece with powerful bass signals.

Regards,
© Axiom Message Boards