Axiom Home Page
Posted By: steveo3818 DVD Problems - 04/10/04 04:53 PM
Has anyone ever had a DVD player that after you put a disc in it, it just goes all to hell?
I put "Breakdown" in my HK DVD50 and ever since then I get a "cannot read disc" error on all my discs or my DVD's will freeze about 15 minutes into playing.

I just ordered the available firmware but was thinking that if I unplugged the unit and let it "power down" that it would restore to factory defaults?

If anybody could point in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

-steveo
Posted By: pmbuko Re: DVD Problems - 04/10/04 07:53 PM
I'd suggest investing in a cleaning disc. It's a CD with little brushes built into it and it sweeps dust off the pickup lens(es).

Here's a link to one that Best Buy carries.
Posted By: steveo3818 Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 05:29 PM
Lots of views over my post but no definitive answers. Well the DVD cleaner was my first thought, but that didn't work. I read some threads on other boards about other people having the same model and it crapping out after a year of use. Hopefully the firmware fixes it or I will be making an early upgrade I don't have SACD or DVD-A, so I might as well start looking!
Posted By: BrenR Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 06:29 PM
I meant to answer this one, but had to run out to work, thanks for the bump to remind me.

I just lost a Toshiba SD-1800 after 15 months (of limited use) to a bad transport. And the SD-3860 is no replacement for the 1800. If this one dies an early death, I'll be buying a stack of the $50 Daytek players and keeping extras on hand - to hell with brand names.

Bren R.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 08:28 PM
It's been my experience that many DVD players seem to be designed as disposable pieces of crap. I've had 2 Sony's die on my within a year or so of use.

Posted By: BrenR Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 09:44 PM
It's strange, the SD-1800 was a Christmas gift 2002 for my fiancee... it's probably run 30-50 movies and CDs maybe 20 times and it kacked...

Meanwhile something like my H-K CD carousel started out as a demo, it runs on average about 10 hours a day and I've had it... 2-3 years - works like a dream (except occasionally it'll spin past the CD it's looking for, realize it's gone too far, reverse and pick it up - but I find I do that a bit myself )

Bren R.
Posted By: mwc Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 10:07 PM
Sounds like your laser "pickup" may be going out. I don't think it had anything to do with the "Breakdown" disc. It was just it's time to go. I had to have one repalced in my older (but expensive at the time) Denon DVD-3000. It cost about $200.00 to repair (2 yrs ago). Contact your vendor about repair.

P.S: I've also had to have a Sony PS2 repaired twice for the same reason. But Sony knows they have a problem with these things and thankfully, they repair the laser pickups for free even if it's out of warranty.
Posted By: metalaaron Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 10:19 PM
pickup an onkyo from ebay
Posted By: steveo3818 Re: DVD Problems - 04/13/04 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the diagnoses. Hopefully all what you guys say is not true. I was toying with the idea of waiting for the new HK DVD31 that has SACD and DVD-A - supposedly coming out at the end of this month. There are so many choices for DVD players that one gets overwelmed by options.
© Axiom Message Boards