Axiom Home Page
Posted By: brent217 TV Receiver question. - 05/08/04 10:19 PM
I have my Receiver, a Yamaha RX-V2400, and my DVD Player, the Pioneer 563A, but I dont have my final TV yet, just an older pos. The TV has only an S-video input. Can I run component video from the DVD player to the reciever, and then S-video from the reveiver to the TV?

Or do I need to keep the same kind of connection all the way through?
Brent
Posted By: BrenR Re: TV Receiver question. - 05/09/04 04:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the RX-V series won't convert between component and S-vid or composite. I have the 540 and I seem to remember anything coming in on component has to leave that way as well - it will cross-convert between composite and s, though.

Besides, you're not losing anything going S into the receiver and S out again.

Bren R.
Posted By: al1en Re: TV Receiver question. - 05/09/04 03:41 PM
That's the way the Denons are too. It will upconvert to component, but it won't downconvert. So you need to feed the receiver a S-video or composite signal if you want it to output S-video to the TV.

With component no conversion is necessary so it is a straight bypass on the signal to keep it pure.
Dave
Posted By: BrenR Re: TV Receiver question. - 05/09/04 04:47 PM
Al1en... I'll have to check the manual here... but the Yammies don't (to my recollection) cross-convert at all between component and S/composite.

Bren R.
Posted By: Raindance Re: TV Receiver question. - 05/09/04 05:50 PM
The RX-V1400/2400 actually are quite different beasts than the other RX-V models (they're not remarked HTR models) and do perform upconverting.
Posted By: JohnK Re: TV Receiver question. - 05/10/04 02:30 AM
Brent, it's also my understanding that although the 2400(and 1400)does convert composite and S-Video inputs so that those signals can be output(no increase in quality, of course) from the three component outputs to the TV, no "downconverting" of component inputs to composite or S-Video outputs is possible.

Apparently you'd like to be ready with component cables for when you get a new TV, but don't worry about it. Get an inexpensive S-Video cable for a few dollars to use in your present setup or even just use anything you already have with an RCA plug on each end as a composite TV connection which the 2400 will convert to the S-Video output(slightly lower quality than the true S-Video connection).
© Axiom Message Boards