Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds What's This? - 05/30/04 04:42 AM
Hello

OK, so some of you know that I have a weakness for the Axiom made Merak MC6H center channel speaker. The MC6H has 2 x 6 1/2" drivers and a horn tweeter. So, I scored one hoping to upgrade the drivers and cross-over, hooked it up and watched the 2 6.5s puff out, heard a weird screeeeing noise followed by a puff of smoke from the horn tweeter.

I instantly recognized this all to be a bad thing, so I powered down. Took the speaker downstairs, hooked it up to another amp and the 6.5s worked but the horn tweeter was silent as death in space. So, I took the think apart and removed the cross over.

There's not much to it, just a little orange thingie marked, "TL .22K 50/100"

Is that a resistor, or what? Any thoughts about the values of whatever it is?

Thanks in advance to all the smart people.
Posted By: BrenR Re: What's This? - 05/30/04 05:44 PM
It's a capacitor... a passive "crossover", half of the archaeic coils & caps duo, it cuts the low frequencies out.

More about them here - http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm - watch out though, lots of math and science on that page.

I skimmed through the page but didn't read it closely, so it may be full of misinformation - just did a quick serach for coils and caps on Google.

Bren R.
Posted By: BigWill Re: What's This? - 05/30/04 07:15 PM
"Thanks in advance to all the smart people."

...but no thanks to the dumb people?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: What's This? - 05/30/04 07:16 PM
Hi BrenR

I thought it was a capacitor but what puzzled me was the notation ".22K 50/100" If it had said .22uf, I'd have been more comfortable with its value. Sounds like it's a .22uf/100V weird little capacitor?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: What's This? - 05/31/04 12:25 AM
2x6, Ajax had one of those removed from his cranium right around the time he was complaining about an alien abduction.
Posted By: Ajax Re: What's This? - 05/31/04 12:32 AM
Yes, but they put it back in when I kept saying "Ray is a nice guy! Ray is a nice guy!" Replacing it brought me back to my senses.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: What's This? - 05/31/04 01:11 AM
Darn meddlesome space aliens!
Posted By: JohnK Re: What's This? - 05/31/04 02:04 AM
You got it. Additionally, the K is the code for a tolerance of the rated capacitance of +/-10%
Posted By: INANE Re: What's This? - 06/01/04 04:50 AM
I should be a help since I went to school and got an EET but I've forgotten so damn much of that since hehe

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: What's This? - 06/01/04 07:02 AM
Thanks fellas. I spoke with Joe at Axiom, and in typical fashion, that is, the best customer service out there, I'm sending Joe the cross-over and he's going to send back a checked and repaired cross-over and new horn tweeter. I'm going to then void the warranty by replacing the stock cap with a Mundorf Supreme or an Audiocap Theta. As a matter of fact, I may send one off to Joe and ask him to void the warranty for me.
© Axiom Message Boards