Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous Question on the M50 - 03/21/02 09:57 AM
Just a quick technical question for Ian or Alan (or somebody) redarding the design of the M50. Is this design technically a 2 way speaker system (i.e. only one crossover) or does it utilize a crossover between the two woofers as well as the tweeter. And while I am at it I guess the same could be asked about the M22 as well.
I ask - because I have found (in the past) that 2 way designs often sound more natural that 3 way designs - and I pretty much attributed it to the issue of the crossovers. Kinda simplistic, but it is an observation that has been pretty accurate (at least for me) for a long time.

Thanks,

Randyman
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Question on the M50 - 03/21/02 11:25 PM
Your viewpoint is well beleived in audio circles. However, there are more factors involved in differing sound than simply the crossover. I am not going to debate which sounds better, but will point out that cabinet volume, driver choice, crossover points, etc will make different speaker sizes sound different.

In actuality, most speakers of 3+ way desing have a single crossover. But there are multiple output points designed and used from the crossover. Think of a speaker as a very inefficient motor, which wastes most of your amplifier power! By allowing multiple drivers to work in certain areas (as decided by the crossover), each driver can work a little better in it's particular area. Crossovers can and do introduce other issues and problems as well. Designers can offset certain problems in other areas of the design - multiple drivers, etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Question on the M50 - 03/22/02 01:19 AM
Appreciate your response, information, and input. Didn't intend to get into a discussion about the design principles. But since you started.... actually I understand (sorta) many of the variables involved for speaker design and that many speakers (drivers) have their own natural frequency roll-off and that in itself can act as a type of crossover, I was just curious anout the actual physical design because different roll-off frequencies and rates (6db, 9db, 12db/octive, etc) have a distinct effect on the sound (as well as the drivers). It was just that in my many years of listening and auditioning I had "discovered" that true 2 way speakers tended to sound more natural or cleaner to my ear, and all else being equal (even though it never is) I deduced that a significant factor to my listening experiences could well be the crossover. Funny eh?

Thanks!

Randyman
© Axiom Message Boards