Axiom Home Page
I just received a pair of M60Ti's and noticed the woofer (second up from the bottom) is making a metal vibration sound. I went through my calibration and it became even more pronounced when running the test tones. Sounds horrible. Does this sound like a problem with the woofer itself?
Posted By: Ajax Re: New M60ti woofer with metal vibration sound - 10/07/04 09:26 AM
Give Axiom a phone call. They fixum right up.
TRY TO TIGHTEN THE WOOFER
Might have shaken loose in shipping...

Those crazy FedEx guys.

Give Axiom a call and if you have a set of good allen keys maybe try snugging the driver up.

Bren R.
I tried tightening the woofer and it is definitely from within iteself. Make sense..? I will contact Axiom. Thanks

Hmm... before you send it back, open it up and take a look, maybe someone left behind a Rolex!

Bren R.
Are the M60s shielded? If so, maybe the magnetic shielding is loose.
The lead plate?

Oh, wait, no, that's the kryptonite shielding.

Bren R.
As someone who had a recent x-ray, I can say:

Lead. It's your balls' best friend.
Posted By: md55 Re: New M60ti woofer with metal vibration sound - 10/07/04 09:24 PM
I bought a pair of Axiom made Michaura m55's on ebay that had a problem that sounds similar. I believe that during shipping the whole magnet/motor structure was jarred loose so that it was sitting at a small but discernable angle to the woofer basket. There is a flat spiral wound spring that positions the cone/voice coil with respect to the magnet structure. The spring coil is inside a paper cover so you can't see it but you can feel it. When I pushed on the woofer cone moving it back and forth I could feel the coil windings binding against each other causing the metalic rattling sound. I took the woofer out to the shop and set up a press to squeeze the magnet structure back into alignment with the woofer basket and the problem was solved.

I offer this for information purposes. I would without hesitation have axiom send a replacement driver under your warranty.
© Axiom Message Boards