Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous Center Channel - 04/03/02 02:11 PM
I have a Rotel - 840BX Integrated Amp manufactured around 85 / 86 in perfect working condition. I would like to know if there is a way to combine a center channel with a pair of M60ti speakers.
Thanks,

Jim
Posted By: alan Re: Center Channel - 04/03/02 06:03 PM
Hello Jim,
If I understand your question,your Rotel is a stereo amp--2 channels, left and right. You could use one of those two channels to drive a center-channel speaker, or you could drive the M60i's as front left and right main channels. But you need an outboard Dolby Digital or Pro Logic decoder to derive a center-channel signal from Dolby Surround tapes, DVDs or CDs, and an additional mono amp to drive the center channel. Technics used to offer an inexpensive outboard Dolby Digital/dts decoder, but you'll still need 3 extra amps for the center and two surround channels.

You might find a used Pro Logic decoder on ebay; Yamaha used to build some with ProLogic decoder and three internal amps built in to power the center channel and 2 surround channels. They were intended for people like you, who only had a simple stereo amp and wanted to upgrade to 5-channel home theater. You could use the Rotel to drive the main front left and right channel M60i's.

Regards,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Center Channel - 04/03/02 11:50 PM
Thanks for the input. Here is another question. Years ago I seem to remember seeing wiring diagrams showing a center speaker utilizing the + R and + L, do you recall seeing anything similar? If so, can it be done or am I dancing with the devil?
Thanks,

Jim
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Center Channel - 04/04/02 12:21 AM
Yes, search for a post that I created, or replied to. It involves the B channel speakers, and is only really a stop gap measure. It requires a decent output stage, and should work with your Rotel.
Posted By: CAV104 Re: Center Channel - 04/04/02 02:35 AM
Could not find post. I seem to recall seeing this in a DYNACO publication. My thought is to include a subwolfer as the center utilizing the +R and +L, but for now its just a thought. Allen might try this method over the next several days and post his results. WAIT and SEE
Jim /CAV104
© Axiom Message Boards