Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous EP175 Auto On/Off Sensitivity - 04/07/02 07:05 AM
Our new EP175 sounds great with our new Denon 3802. However, I believe I'm having trouble with the auto on/off. In order to engage (auto on) the sub, it's necessary to turn the receiver volume up to loud listening levels. The sub comes on immediately, but after reducing the receiver volume to more comfortable levels, the sub shuts off after a short period of time. While on, the sub sound level seems appropriate, that is, not soft / not loud compared to the other channels. By comfortable levels, the sound is low but not whisper quiet or even quiet; I can clearly hear the music from the next room. When playing music at loud levels, the sub performs as expected.

The sub is connected to the receiver through the line level input on the sub and the sub pre out on the receiver using Monster Cable subwoofer cable 300. Through the sub, the sub volume setting is at the half way mark; through the receiver, all speakers are set to small, the sub is "on", and the sub channel vol is set to 0db (within 1-2 db +/- of all other speakers). I've experimented with changing the sub channel vol on the receiver to +8 and +12 for stereo, 5 channel stereo, and Dolby PL II for TV, CD in CD player, CD in DVD player and tested using those sources, thinking this might boost the signal to the sub and keep it on. That may have helped a bit but only in not having to turn the receiver vol quite as loud to activate the sub.

Is there a way to change the sub auto on/off sensitivity; to make it more sensitive to the receiver's signal? Could it be a problem unrelated to the auto on/off?

I'm also curious about the "audio/video equilization switch" mentioned in the EP175 manual. Where exactly is this switch on the sub?

Thanks in advance for theories, advise, suggestions and remedies. Of course, more thanks to those offering remedies.
Gery
Posted By: Anonymous Re: EP175 Auto On/Off Sensitivity - 04/09/02 08:01 PM
Just wanted to update on the problem. Axiom responded directly to me and very quickly; that says a lot about their customer service. Their service manager says he's seen this one other time and has a pretty good idea of what the problem is. He'll test out a component and hopefully ID the problem. In the mean time, I'll just have to rely on my M60's to deliver the bass, which, I must say, they are superb at doing.

Gery
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: EP175 Auto On/Off Sensitivity - 04/09/02 08:42 PM
Gery

Concerning the Audio/Video switch. In my experience, when on audio, the sub is very even, fast, and clean. On video, it gets boomy. This is probably to add effects to, say, explosions in an action movie.

As far as your sub turning off, yes I have heard of this before. Sometimes, though, it is simply a weak cable connection between your amp and sub. Make sure the cable is secure and, if you can, try switching the actual cable.
On my EP125, I do find it hard to have the sub turn itself on. I sometimes have to crank the volume, or simply go to the sub and put the volume on max, then back to half.

I hope someone from Axiom can respond to this problem directly on this message board.
© Axiom Message Boards