Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JSkip Tivo Recording/Playing DD 5.1 movies - 11/06/04 08:11 PM
I watched a movie last night (2 Fast 2 Furious) that I recorded on my DirecTV Tivo unit.

During the opening credits, it said it was playing in DD 5.1. Since my Tivo is setup for DD 5.1 and I have an optical cable running from the Tivo to the receiver, I thought, "cool".

This is where I get confused. I turned on my Denon receiver and it never displayed "Dolby D" like it does when I watch DVDs. I kept cycling through the surround options and finally watched it in Dolby ProLogic.

Is this the way it is or am I (as usual) doing something wrong?

Thanks, John

Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo Recording/Playing DD 5.1 movies - 11/06/04 08:45 PM
Is your Denon set to use the digital connection to the DirecTiVo unit? Are the regular analog cables hooked up as well?

I also know that once in a while when a show is to be played in DD5.1....it is not.

What channel was this?

-curtis
Posted By: JSkip Re: Tivo Recording/Playing DD 5.1 movies - 11/06/04 09:19 PM
I have the optical cable hooked up to the receiver OPT 1 input and setup to work off the receiver's "TV" button. Is there anything else I need to do?

The optical is the only connection between the Tivo and the receiver. I believe it was a Starz movie from when it was a free weekend.
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo Recording/Playing DD 5.1 movies - 11/06/04 10:13 PM
I do not know much about the Denon's, but if you are sure the DirecTiVo is setup for DD5.1....then all looks fine.

Works great with the receivers and pre/pro I have used.
Posted By: JSkip Re: Tivo Recording/Playing DD 5.1 movies - 11/07/04 06:05 PM
For those of you who care (if any), I just purchased the PPV movie "Man on Fire". It is a DD 5.1 movie that I am recording and playing back in DD 5.1.

Therefore, it looks like the free Starz weekend movies were stripped of their Dolby sound.

Regardless, I am happy it wasn't my setup.
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo Recording/Playing DD 5.1 movies - 11/07/04 11:55 PM
Great!!
© Axiom Message Boards