Axiom Home Page
Posted By: demasoni speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 04:35 AM
I just bought a pair of 29" VTI RF stands for my M22ti, it's refillable with mass so I wanted to get some lead shot, looks like I'll need about a gallon or two of that stuff to get them filled. where can I get them for cheap?
Posted By: bridgman Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 05:54 AM
Find a gun shop that caters to reloaders. If you have a Cabelas around they sell about as cheap as anyone...

Just don't buy the fancy copper-plated shot; it costs an arm and a leg and won't make your speakers sound any better
Posted By: TweedleyD Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 01:19 PM
Lead Shot is best an is pretty expensive an is the best to do but in case u don't wanna drop the Dough u can get Sand an jus keep packin it in there will suffice , but i would go with the Shot if u got the $$$$ lol lol oh yeh an make sure u put something around ur Balls it gonna b HEAVY lmao when u lift it an move it
Posted By: Ray3 Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 04:45 PM
If you do go with sand, consider putting it in plastic bags to avoid leakage and mess. Also, another good reason to avoid the copper shot is the extensive break-in period involved.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 06:07 PM
In reply to:

Also, another good reason to avoid the copper shot is the extensive break-in period involved.

Not to mention the oxygen-free copper shot sounds so much better.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 06:44 PM
It sounds much better than sand or concrete.

We used to have a lead pot that we would pour hot lead into stands and racks. It was pretty cool to watch. It would make a 10lbs Item weigh 5 to 10X more.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 07:07 PM
I would think that lead pot would be very hard to smoke.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/04/04 07:12 PM
It is and it causes cancer.
Posted By: demasoni Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/05/04 01:41 AM
I'd called around and the lead shot at local gun shops are very expensive, most of them wanted about $6.50/lb depending on size. I did a search online and found most scuba shops also carry some lead shot pouch vary from 1 to 10 lb to help diver sink, If I remember correctly it's call the Sea Pearls Soft Weights. They're selling for $2.50/lb so I bought 20 lb, the shot are way more expensive than sand but they're very dense and heavy!! each VTI RF stand have total of 3 tubes and each tube can take about 10~12 lb so for now I only filled the center piece, the shot is small and very easy to fill through the hole. :-)

Posted By: bridgman Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/05/04 02:09 AM
Hitting the scuba shop was a good idea, I forgot about that. Lead shot for guns needs to be pretty accurately formed in order to fly straight, while lead weights just have to be heavy...

Sorry I missed that. Glad you found a source.
Posted By: demasoni Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/05/04 03:51 AM
thanks for the suggestion though, these stuff is still very expensive eventhough I'm getting it from Scuba shop, it's going to cost about $160 to have all 6 tubes filled, when I'm done each stand is going to weight no less than 45 lb, hopefully it will be stable enough to combat my 1 yr old daughter!! LOL

I thought about using sand, but it's too light and very messy, perhaps I should hit up the local auto shop or junk yank and see if I can get a bunch of ball bearings!! :-)
Posted By: bridgman Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/05/04 05:09 AM
Just a thought -- it's been 25 years since I took the classes but you MIGHT end up with more stability if you only half filled the tubes, ie had all the weight low to the ground.

I can guarantee it would only cost half as much
Posted By: demasoni Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/05/04 06:23 AM
that make sense, kind of like most standing lamps with heavy base plate.....that's a darn good idea actually!! ;-) I'll stop by the Scuba shop tomorrow and get two more pouches and fill all the tubes only half way and see what happen, thanks for the great advice.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/05/04 08:31 PM
I've had sand in my stands for about 2 years now (with no plastic lining), and I've never seen a grain of sand on the carpet. Once it's in there and packed pretty well, you'll never see it again.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: speaker stands and lead shot? - 12/06/04 06:01 AM
Famous last words...
© Axiom Message Boards