Axiom Home Page
Posted By: shag Calibrating HT systems - 12/09/04 01:23 PM
How often should you calibrate your system? Does everyone do it everytime they turn the system on or on a periodical basis like once a week or something?

shag
Posted By: bridgman Re: Calibrating HT systems - 12/09/04 01:55 PM
Once the system is calibrated it should stay that way unless :

- you move the speakers around
- your receiver "crashes" and loses the settings
- someone messes with the settings when you are not there
- you have free time one weekend and think you could do better this time
Posted By: Ajax Re: Calibrating HT systems - 12/09/04 02:07 PM
You should recalibrate if you move a speaker, or the sub, even a few inches
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Calibrating HT systems - 12/09/04 02:29 PM
yes, i had to move my sub when we had to move the furniture around to make room for the christmas tree. so , it is a little out of whack, and we had to move a couch right up next to the sub, so it sounds a little muddled, so i dailed up the gain a little.. once we get everything back in its normal place after the new year, i will have to re-calibrate and get it back inline. no biggie, rat shack meter makes it easy!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Calibrating HT systems - 12/09/04 02:59 PM
I've got individual adjustments for the speakers and sub on my remote and tend to tweak them (especially the sub) based on the source material I am listening to. As a result, I recalibrate once a month and I usually find I have tweaked myself out of the sweet spot a bit since the last calibration, so it's worthwhile to re-do occasionally.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Calibrating HT systems - 12/09/04 09:08 PM
Actually, you should recalibrate if you move your furniture around, too.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Calibrating HT systems - 12/10/04 07:41 AM
I just calibrated mine for the first time ever, only had the system for a year. I only used the pink noise and was surprised to find that my ears are actually reasonably accurate. My sub was the only offender in the group. Once I turned it down, my CD's sounded much more natural and not as booming as they had been in the past. I decided to recheck at 60db and found it off a little(User error?). I recalibrated at 60db and tested at 70, 80 & 90db and all speakers read the same.

I would think that the only reason to recalibrate would if the room has changed in some way, a new piece of furniture added or removed or the speakers had to be moved for some reason. Or any of the above previously mentioned.

I am hoping to get a setup CD soon and try out the calibration at the different frequencies to see if it gets any better.
© Axiom Message Boards