Axiom Home Page
Posted By: KBear Rear port speakers - placement - 12/15/04 05:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm close to buying the M3ti bookshelf speakers. One thing I'm trying to determine before I purchase is where I will place them. It's a small room so I may not have much distance between the speakers and the wall. I estimate approximately 9 inches, 10 tops. Is this enough to avoid a degredation in performance? How much room is optimal? I've read that having rear port speakers too close to a wall is bad, and if I'm not mistaken these Axioms are rear port speakers. This is really my only concern at this time.

These speakers will be hooked up to a Denon microsystem in a small office type of room. Music played will be hard rock and I do like to turn the volume up just a bit!

Thanks.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rear port speakers - placement - 12/15/04 05:43 AM
KB, welcome. The only significant factor is that there should be "breathing room" for the rear port, and 3" or so is enough for that.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Rear port speakers - placement - 12/15/04 05:50 AM
In terms of "breathing space for the ports" you should be fine. The only other issue with speaker-to-wall distance is the overall bass reinforcement thing, which is more of a "distance to corner" than "distance to wall".

How far are the M3s going to be from the side walls ? If more than a couple of feet then "no problem".
Posted By: rebel Re: Rear port speakers - placement - 12/15/04 09:44 AM
you may also consider using foam bungs in the rear ports to tame the boominess in the bass, if it gets to that
© Axiom Message Boards